Skip to main content
Topic: USB Ports (Read 426 times) previous topic - next topic
USB Ports
Posting maniac today!!!

I have six 12v USB charging ports installed throughout the rig. Five of them are the little ones shown in the first photo. These things are a disappointment. Cheap and one has already failed. I'm looking for a good replacement for these, something with both USB-A and USB-C ports. I see some on Amazon but who knows what quality they are??? Anyhow, has anyone installed one that they would recommend? Thanks.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Re: USB Ports
Reply #1
We’re similarly interested in finding some kind of device chargers like Jor’s.   Hope someone has some recommendations. 

We’d like to add some kind of socket type charger to replace one of the 12V lights in the cabover.  Possible?

Reply #2
I have put in two 4 port USB chargers. They are connected directly to +12volts. A standard wall plate, similar to a 120vAC outlet. They come in black, brown or white.
Magnadyne WC-USB-B.  $28, Amazon    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
That looks like a good quality outlet, Ron but it doesn't have a USB-C port. I have an adapter but I'm hoping to find something like your recommendation that includes the C port along with the ubiquitous A. Anybody else installed these?
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #4
Hi JOR, the 'A' port is for the end of the wire and the other end has the 'B'  or 'C' ends. I have watch chargers, phone Q chargers, bi directional 'C' , and Apple phone and watch chargers all compatible with this standard charger.  RonB

Reply #5
all compatible with this standard charger.

Yes, of course. But some products have the C connector on both ends. For example, my Apple Air is like that. I could certainly use one like yours (I installed one 4-banger up front) but I'd like the convenience of having both on one outlet. I'll probably end up getting some like this one.
jor

usb
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #6

I tried last year, there just aren’t any good USB C outlets out there, those that I find are practically useless in the amount of power they deliver.

Instead I go with chargers that use the 120v outlets, yes I am converting from battery to 120v back to USB A/C, do not care, does a good job charging.

For air/hotel stays, I use this style charger as the brick directly into a wall socket often is too heavy for frequently used outlets found in hotels and airplanes.  The orange color makes it less likely I forget it.

Dave

2017 TK

Reply #7
Instead I go with chargers that use the 120v outlets

Now that's something to consider too. I'm planning to add a couple of 120v outlets so this would be a good way to go. Thanks, Dave.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #8

I put a couple of quick chargers form Amazon in an enclosure and wired them in directly to 12V. I had to
put an on off switch to turn them off at night, the wife didn't like the blue light.
Amazon.com: Quick Charge 4.0 PD Type C and Quick Charge 3.0 USB Charger...

Jon

1994 MB

Reply #9
I'd read the negative reviews carefully before buying one of those no-name orange chargers. It seems as if many users found that it didn't deliver anywhere near the promised power. I'd shop instead for a recognized brand such as Anker or Belkin.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #10
I'd read the negative reviews carefully before buying one of those no-name orange chargers. It seems as if many users found that it didn't deliver anywhere near the promised power. I'd shop instead for a recognized brand such as Anker or Belkin.
I agree, they often exaggerate power delivery to catch your eye, so I take that with heavy dose of salt.   But practically all, even Anker & Belkin have negative reviews, though perhaps fewer.

When I buy any of those devices, I run each outlet under supervision, verify each port works well, otherwise back it goes.  I’ve been lucky so far on reliability, but yeah don’t buy one just before a trip.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #11
I have put in two 4 port USB chargers. They are connected directly to +12volts. A standard wall plate, similar to a 120vAC outlet. They come in black, brown or white.
Magnadyne WC-USB-B.  $28, Amazon    RonB
I’ve ordered this part in white on behalf of my dear wife Margarita.   If this project fails, I’ve told Margee to blame RobB (Moderator)! 😂

Reply #12
Hi Ed; just to make it easier, I  cut a hole in the back wall that this charger would fit through. Driver side. Your midbath has an easily removed access panel in the back wall of the storage compartment. A standard white Decora plate can be screwed into the wood.
   The biggest problem was finding a 12vdc wire to hookup to.I  ran my 12v through the storage compartment to the back wall. I also put lighting in the storage compartment while I was at it.(automatic off when door is closed). RonB

Reply #13
Ron, I was planning to install this charger in place of one of the two 12V lights in the cab over.  I’m hoping it’s a simple replacement.  We’ll soon find out.

Footnote:   Please work!