Skip to main content
Topic: Problem with New Victron DC to DC Charger (Read 255 times) previous topic - next topic
Problem with New Victron DC to DC Charger
Good Evening,

I just installed my new Victron DC to DC charger a few days ago, but have only just noticed that once the engine shuts off, it is no longer powered, even though it is connected to the house battery.  Sure enough, when I check the voltage on the house battery side of the contactor, there is none.

The charger unit has just three connections: input from the contactor, output and ground to the house battery (busbars).

it definitely powers up and charges the house battery with I run the engine, but with the engine shut off, it shuts down completely and seems to cut off the connection back to the contactor.

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone might have about this.  I'll have try to get hold of Victron tech support.

Thanks,

Tim
2014 Mid-Bath
2014 Honda CRV toad

Re: Problem with New Victron DC to DC Charger
Reply #1
As long as it powers back up and charges the battery when the engine is started, what is the problem?
That may be the way it is designed to work, no need to be powered up and consuming power when the engine is off.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone might have about this.  I'll have try to get hold of Victron tech support.
Not sure what you expected it to do? It allows the alternator to safely charge the battery. If it is connected properly to the house battery, you would expect to see the house battery voltage at its connection to it when the engine is off. If you see no voltage, then perhaps it is not connected correctly or the circuit breaker in the battery box is tripped. Check for battery voltage on both terminals of the circuit breaker.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Larry and Steve:

I just checked the connection from the house battery to the charger, and it's good, reading 13.4 volts.  So, the charger has power from the battery.

Yes, it does power up and provide charge to the battery when I start the engine, but after the engine is cut off, I would expect to see the house battery voltage at the contactor, and I see no voltage there.

Some time ago, I installed a 10 gauge connection from the contactor to a receptacle on the dashboard to provide power for our 12-volt freezer/fridge.  That receptacle is now dead when the engine is off.  Also, I lose the radio settings every time I cut the engine.  It seems that when the charger is powered off, it is not permitting current to flow from the house battery back down the 4 gauge wire to the contactor.

Let me know whether this make sense to you.

Tim
2014 Mid-Bath
2014 Honda CRV toad

Reply #4
Looking at the manual for the charger, it shows the output going through a fuse or circuit breaker to the coach battery. When the engine is on, you will see a voltage at this terminal. If it is higher than the voltage at the battery, the fuse/cb is open, and you are not charging. Check this by checking the voltage across the circuit breaker terminals. If it is not zero volts, the breaker is open.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
A little late to be asking, but what is the model name/number of your DC to DC charger, Tim? I'm guessing it's one of the Orion models, but which one?
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Andy,

The model name is "Orion-Tr Smart 12/12-Volt 30 amp 360-Watt DC-DC Charger Non-Isolated (Bluetooth)".  I don't see any model number on the package or device itself.  I just purchased it three weeks ago.

Regards,

Tim

2014 Mid-Bath
2014 Honda CRV toad

Reply #7
Thanks, Tim. I don't have any insight into that model, but knowing the model may help others to provide advice.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"