Skip to main content
Topic: Jensen TV (Read 836 times) previous topic - next topic
Jensen TV
Our 12 year old 12v 32 inch TV quit working. It seems like it’s not getting power. I can’t figure out how to troubleshoot the reason for not getting power. It’s located in the entertainment center. I’ve tested the fuse in the power center and at the fuse at the back of the TV. Both fine. Has anyone had a similar experience with Jensen 12v tv?
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Re: Jensen TV
Reply #1
is there power to the fuse plug?
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #2
Jensen TVs were good for their times but newer TVs are much better and cheaper than they were years ago.
It may be a good time to replace the old one if you can't figure out what is bad with the Jensen.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
I certainly don’t want to insult the OP with this post but I had a similar experience some years ago.   We hadn’t used the TV for a while and somehow had accidentally turned off the 12V switch AND the switch for cable/TV to cable.  Maybe this helps and maybe not!

Reply #4
As I continued to search for my power loss to the tv I found that, in the power control panel, the ground fault plug reset was tripped and would not reset. Maybe the problem may have just manifested itself in the tv? I’m still searching for  answers. How difficult is it to replace a faulty ground fault plug? I’ve never had the pleasure.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Reply #5
How difficult is it to replace a faulty ground fault plug? I’ve never had the pleasure.

Is the GFI breaker in the Power Center tripped or is the problem a GFI receptacle or?
A photo or better description would be helpful.

Try using an extension cord to power the TV to see if it still functions.

Larry
Larry

Reply #6
I was able to connect to shore power and reset the GFI. However, I can’t find out why there is no 12v power to the Jensen 32” tv. There are no bad fuses but the little blue light at the left lower corner of the screen won’t light up.

Reply #7
Our 12 year old 12v 32 inch TV wit working. It seems like it’s not getting power. I can’t figure out how to troubleshoot the reason for not getting power. It’s located in the entertainment center. I’ve tested the fuse in the power center and at the fuse at the back of the TV. Both fine. Has anyone had a similar experience with Jensen 12v tv?
If you have one, your antenna power amplifier display should light up when the big "TV POWER" rocker switch is first turned on.  If it doesn't light up then you have no DC voltage to the TV or amplifier.  I would then check (if you are comfortable doing so):

1)  Even though you said it was fine I would swap out the "TV/Antenna Power Amplifier" fuse (mine is fuse #6 and is 7.5 amps) in the panel with another panel fuse of the same amperage.
2)  The next thing I would do is check the tightness of the crimp connections on back of the big "TV Power" rocker switch.  My switch assembly and amplifier are mounted on a wood panel that can be removed by unscrewing 4 screws.
3)  The "TV POWER" rocker switch could also be bad.  You can bypass the switch by connecting the 2 wires on the back of the switch to see if you get power.

If your amplifier display did light up when the "TV POWER" rocker switch is first turned on, then I would check:

1)  That the DC connecter is firmly connected to the TV.
2)  I would replace the TV inline fuse on the back of the TV even though it checked good.

X

I hope this helps.

Kendall

Kendall & Donna
2019 TK  "RIMRIDER"
2023 Jeep Wrangler

Reply #8
Thank you very much Kendall. I will check all of those excellent suggested remedies. I know that the power antenna green light does light up when the tv rocker switch is turned on. Also, I replaced the glass fuse on the back of the tv to no avail.
    I’m wondering if the power disconnect connection that goes somehow to the ignition could be involved somehow?  I remember starting the engine with the tv on and it went off. It did work again after that but………….? Anybody familiar with how that is set up? Is there a reset button or a fuse. Where would I look for that?
Thank you. Dale from Downey.

Reply #9
I’m wondering if the power disconnect connection that goes somehow to the ignition could be involved somehow?  I remember starting the engine with the tv on and it went off. It did work again after that but…………

Some LDs I worked on had this feature that prevented the TV's operation when the ignition was on. There is a relay someplace that controls this, wish I knew where.
Remote electrical troubleshooting can be very difficult.

Larry
Larry

Reply #10
As Larry said, at some point in the past, the law required that there be a way to prevent the driver from trying to watch the television while driving (!)  Lazy Daze may have had a way to disconnect power to the TV if the ignition were on, so they couldn't be sued by someone for providing a 'hazard'.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #11
"Anybody familiar with how that is set up?"

Aww, come-on guys, you're going to make me search my foggy brain for that answer? I believe I may have a circuit diagram of the wiring for that very issue... however, it's most probably in the LD, permanently inaccessible to me! As soon as I am able I'll ask the new Captain if she will look for it. Sorry!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #12
"...this feature that prevented the TV's operation when the ignition was on."

So when the OP is trouble shooting is the ignition 'on' or 'off'? If it's off then the problem would seem to be elsewhere!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #13
Some LDs I worked on had this feature that prevented the TV's operation when the ignition was on. There is a relay someplace that controls this, wish I knew where.
Remote electrical troubleshooting can be very difficult.

Larry

This is what the Companion had to say:

TV On While Driving
There may be times when passengers want to watch TV or use the CD player while the Lazy Daze is being driven. For driver safety reasons, some Lazy Dazes are pre-wired so as to prevent the TV or any device run through it from operating while the ignition is on. The following information tells you how to bypass the ignition for passenger viewing. This appears to be an issue with the 31' model only, probably due to placement of the TV in the cabover above the driver.
Older Posts
Home
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)
Posted by
Chris
at
12/09/2017 09:52:00 PM
Labels:
TV
Chris Horst: In our 2002 30' with entertainment unit, I was told to disconnect the TV lockout in 2 different places: look for a blue wire directly behind the TV on the driver's side rear corner of the cabinet and/or a blue wire connected to the the yellow/black striped wire in the Ford radio harness accessible by removing the radio. The blue wire receives power only with the ignition switch in run or accessory.
Jim Cummings: In our 2006 30', the solution was a 5-minute fix. In our case, the black Bosch relay box is behind the panel that has the inverter switch, TV amplifier switch, and amplifier plate. The wire was blue with a spade connector. He unplugged that and taped off the spade connector and it works now with the engine on. I am attaching a copy of the photo that Chris took of his wiring. The relay is at the back bottom left. The photo below shows the set-up when the 20" Sony TV was standard and is in a '02 30'. In all newer models, look for the disconnect in the area of the TV amplifier switch and plate.
Understand that driving with the TV on may be illegal, so make this modification at your own risk.

Kendall
Kendall & Donna
2019 TK  "RIMRIDER"
2023 Jeep Wrangler

Reply #14
Lazy Bones 2 posting diagrams Lazy Bones referred to a few posts back. Hope it helps 😊
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #15
I’m’ going to have to take that box apart that contains the off/on switches and amplifier. I’m thinking that I’ll look for that relay from the ignition. Also I can test the toggle switch to the tv by bypassing it.
  I can test that relay to the ignition when I’m in there. If it is blown it would cut the power to the tv, right?
  Who knows, it might just be a loose connection in there.
Dale from Downey. 2012, 27’RB with entertainment center.

Reply #16
New findings on my quest to trace down power loss to tv: I was able to get into the power box in the entertainment center. The off/ on switch has no power to it. Tracing it back there  is black resistor box with six wires coming out of it with blade connectors. I haven’t removed that yet. There is power to that resistor because it also feeds the cigar lighter connector and the antenna amplifier. They both work fine. Before I remove it I think I’m going to see if there is a number or lettering on it. I’m wondering where the best place to find a new resistor would be? Anybody know?

Reply #17
Could you post a picture of it?

Kendall
Kendall & Donna
2019 TK  "RIMRIDER"
2023 Jeep Wrangler

Reply #18
"... best place to find new resistor..."

I personally use Jameco!
https://www.jameco.com/?CID=GOAW&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgLj4g-jHhAMV3jWtBh0W1Az_EAAYASAAEgLDSfD_BwE
Search for Passive Components.

However, there are others such as:
Where To Buy Electronic Components?

Since Tandy and Radio Shack are no longer with us it has become difficult to obtain parts and components!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #19
New findings on my quest to trace down power loss to tv: I was able to get into the power box in the entertainment center. The off/ on switch has no power to it. Tracing it back there  is black resistor box with six wires coming out of it with blade connectors.
Not sure what this 'resistor box' would be - is it labeled such? Could it be a relay? If so, two contacts would be the coil and the other four switched contacts...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #20
You’re correct. NOT resistor box. RELAY BOX. I changed it in the above text. Sorry. I hope it makes better sense now.

Reply #21
I took pictures but can’t remember how to send them. HELP!!

Jensen tv continued
Reply #23
Pictures of relay to tv. How can I determine if this relay is functioning correctly?

Reply #24
Thank you Kendall for the directions of how to add photos. I have added photos of the relay that supplies power to tv, antenna amp and cigar lighter. How do I know if there is power to the relay?