Skip to main content
Topic: Propane gas detector (Read 355 times) previous topic - next topic
Propane gas detector
Good afternoon. I’m addressing a very long deferred piece of maintenance on our 24’ FD. It still has the original propane gas detector. It’s only gone off once, and that was due to a low coach battery condition.

I’m installing a Safe T Alert model 35-742. I’m not sure what I’m looking at with the original wiring so I attached a picture. It looks as though the black wire is installed by cutting into a ground loop so that there are two white wires connected to it.  The red wire has an E type fuse holder installed inline to it.

The paperwork for the old CCI detector shows two power leads; one to the battery and one to the converter. Is that E fuse redundant since I have a fuse for the detector in the converter panel?  Also, the red (power) lead from the converter is attached to a yellow wire which goes to the converter.

Very confusing. Any thoughts or experiences would be very welcome.
Thank you,
Larry
Larry in Monument, CO
2008 24' FD

Re: Propane gas detector
Reply #1

Hi Larry;   The white wire is a ground and is 'daisy chained' to continue on somewhere else.  The yellow wire is just 12Vdc, changes to red, then orange for the fuse and back to red.  Just cut off the black and red wires as close to the old detector as possible, and wire to the new detector. The fuse probably is redundant, or smaller than the fuse in the power center which may also feed other items.
     The 742 one you chose has two detectors. An LP gas detector and a carbon monoxide sensor.  Your '08 should have a separate CO detector closer to the ceiling. It's ok to have two sensors.  I got the beige one to fit into my cabinet color and existing sized hole. Just a LPG detector.  Amazon.com: MTI Industries 30-442-P-WT Propane Gas Alarm – White : Tools &...  WT for white, BL for black, BR brown.  RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Thank you, Ron. I appreciate your help.
Larry
Larry in Monument, CO
2008 24' FD

Reply #3
So sometimes I waste time by looking at the 'one star' reviews for products, just to see what people comment about.
   Most of these complaints were about items that had been sitting in a box for a year or so, "wasting money and time."  These meters don't expire in five years.  They time out when wired up and turned on, for five years of operational use.  I recommend installing them and leaving them on, even though there might be a temptation to switch them on and off.  Even when not using the rig, the tank's main gas valve might let a little into the rig and leak inside. Or you might turn on the gas tank valve and forget to turn on the leak detector. Even a small delay, like what  happened recently in a news report (mentioned here on LDOG), can be disastrous.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
Turning the propane gas detector. off when not in use isn’t going to prolong the sensor’s life; it is designed for five years of exposure before the sensor loses sensitivity, no matter if it has been left on continuously or turned off when not in use.

The propane gas detector. has a date on the back showing the date of manufacture.
LDs are wired with the propane gas detector powered on all the time unless its fuse is pulled.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Mine ends up off when not in use for short periods of time when I arrive back home. I disconnect the house batteries and don't plug the RV in for a few weeks.  Usually I plug the RV in before the next trip when we may start getting ready.
Steve and Jill, Steve posting
1999 26.5 Mid-Bath

Reply #6
Mine ends up off when not in use for short periods of time when I arrive back home. I disconnect the house batteries and don't plug the RV in for a few weeks.  Usually I plug the RV in before the next trip when we may start getting ready.

The propane detector runs on 12 volts and is powered all the time unless its fuse is removed or the coach battery is disconnected.  Plugging the rig in will not change anything except to keep the battery charged. If you have solar that should keep the battery charged.
The lifetime of the detector does not change, no matter if the propane detector is powered or not. The detector's ‘due’ date is based on the sensor’s exposure to the atmosphere, which begins when manufactured.
All types of gas detectors have limited lifetimes and age out.

Larry

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze