Skip to main content
Topic: Noisy furnace (Read 762 times) previous topic - next topic
Noisy furnace
Hi. We've got an annoying squeel coming from the furnace in our 1999 LD 30' mid-bath. The blower works and heat is coming out. Then the sound just stopped.
Where is the furnace motor so we can possibly service the blower and fan?
The rig is going in to the dealer for repair or replacement of the black tank next week.
Any other guidance is appreciated! Thanks.
30' 1999 IB

Re: Noisy furnace
Reply #1
The furnace needs to be pulled for service. That is accomplished by pulling off the front vent panel, turning off the adjacent gas valve, removing the attaching screws, disconnecting the gas line, and pulling the unit out until you can remove the electrical connector. Once the unit is out, the squeaking is because the lubricant in the motor bushings has dried out and needs to be dissolved and replaced.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Hi Steve;  With the LiF batteries I'm putting more hours on my heater fan motor bearings.  No squealing yet, but I have wondered how long I can go without doing anything for the bearings. Is this really something that will last a few years?   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #3
My 2000 30IB had a terrible squealing from the furnace especially when it was initially turned on. I don't have access to the furnace model number anymore but if yours is the same model...

This is the part numbers for the blower motor and wheel the tech replaced for me. For reference - It took the tech 4.5 hours of labor to do the job.

Blower Wheel: Suburban Mfg 41-1278
Blower Motor: M.C. Enterprises 42-0001

Hope this helps.
Jodi, Kevin, and Lincoln (the crazy doodle dog)
2011 TK - also the "DogHaus"- adopted October 2023
2000 30IB - the "DogHaus" - adopted April 2020 - rehomed October 2023

Reply #4

Some Suburban furnaces are accessed from an outside hatch while most are accessed from the inside.
Depending on the motor's bearing wear, the fan motor may need replacement or oiling.

For lubing small electrical motors this oiler comes in handy, it has a long, pull-out spout for getting to hard-to-reach spots
Amazon.com: Universal Sewing Machine Oil in Zoom Spout Oiler – Lily White...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
"... our 1999 LD 30' mid-bath."

Forgive me MAMAFREE for picking nits! The proper description for any 30' LD is "30' IB (Island Bed) or 30' TB (Twin Bed). Any reference to a "Mid-Bath" is for a 27' LD only! That's an honest mistake, you're learning.   ;D   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #6
Hi Steve;  With the LiF batteries I'm putting more hours on my heater fan motor bearings.  No squealing yet, but I have wondered how long I can go without doing anything for the bearings. Is this really something that will last a few years?   RonB
No issues yet with our '04, but had the issue with our '83. The brass sleeve bearings develop sort of a hard 'shellac' that gums things up. Eyedropping a little alcohol on the shaft and working it to dissolve the deposits, following with light machine oil worked for me.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #7
Hi all. Thank you so much for all the info and suggestions. We've decided to add this to needed work when we drop her off at the dealer this week (black tank leak repair or replacement, electical panel buzzing/arcing, fried end of 30 amp cord). Hopefully these repairs won't break our bank! 
30' 1999 IB

Reply #8
black tank leak repair or replacement

Just curious. What happened to your black tank to cause the leak?
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #9
Hi JOR;  Anybody can look through anybody else's past posts, by clicking on that persons profile (picture), and going to 'show posts'.  MamaFree may have had some freeze damage on the ABS tank.  RonB

Reply #10
xAnybody can look through anybody else's past posts
Thanks, Ron.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #11
Hi jor. RonB is correct; a cold Montana winter probably caused a crack.
30' 1999 IB

Reply #12
Does anyone know what amp we should ask the shop to install when replacing the coach converter in our 1999 30 IB? They say it is blown.
The main reason we took it in was for the black tank leak...they cannot find the leak. It is either on the upper part of tank or it is between the toilet and tank. Hope they figure it out, as there is definitely a very stinky leak. Maybe they just don't want to work on it???
30' 1999 IB

Reply #13
As an owner of a '99, losing ypur converter wasn't much of a loss!. Much better ones exist now. 3 years ago I got a Progressive Dynamics 4655VL. It has been good. I used it with regular lead acid batteries for 6 months before I converted to Lithium. The VL has a removable jumper to do the conversion. 55 Amp is good. I might go to 65 Amp now. Last I heard the 75 amp has a fan that runs all the time. That bothers some people. Your converter is out in the open. You don't need the remote pendant.
   Previous posts detail this change, and Best Converters seems ok to buy from.
    Your techs don't want to work on your leak, or don't know how. (IMO)   RonB

Reply #14
Thanks RonB. We really pushed Bish's to find the leak. They filled up the black tank  and no leakage. They say the leak is in the sink/piping above the black tank, and that isnt causing damage and leaving it should be fine. Or fix it for at least another $2,500. Does anyone have a schematic of the piping system? (Need to ask them if it is bath or kitchen sink)

We may try to put some dye down the sink and capture in a pan, just to confirm the leak.  Is there a liquid product we can pour in to seal cracks in the pipe? Like for radiators. Thanks, as always, for your help.
30' 1999 IB

Reply #15
Hi MamaF; If your pipes were perfectly clean including the crack you might be able to seal it. Better to find the problem though. Try putting red dye (food coloring) in the fresh water, pump into a container to get the color up to the faucet and let it sit. If no color or leak shows up, then it isn't fresh water. The other drain pipes contain very little water, just at the traps. Only the toilet ends up in the black tank. Sinks and shower (gray water) ends up in the gray water tank. If the GW tank is full, motion could slosh water back into the pipes. Same for the black tank.  Run red water into the hot water tank also. (don't  let it into the drain system yet.) 
   That filling the black tank doesn't reveal a leak, doesn't mean that a leak isn't in the piping leading to the tanks. Also the fresh water can leak at the entry fill where the elbow is connected and slosh around to leak and drip to the bottom and drip underneath.
   While you have red dye only in the FW tank, take a drive to see if you get 'red' leaks elsewhere.  Then pour red water in the shower. Then sink, then other sink. etc.

RonB

Reply #16
Hi RonB. The dye method would help us find the problem - although the tech said he found where it is coming from. I am  feeling stuck (and broke) because I can't fathom it costing another $2,500 in labor alone unless they'd have to remove the black tank completely. I was hoping for a schematic, which might allow me to talk intelligently with the technician. Haha Leaving the leak as-is is only delaying a problem down the road. Sheesh, if only I were born rich instead of beautiful!(kidding)
30' 1999 IB

Reply #17
About the symptom listed above, 'stinky black tank smell' have you replaced the gasket at the base of the toilet?  A '99 would need that about now. I replaced mine about 6 months ago. Sort of hard to find because it is the source of the problem, but might smell and not be easily detectable. Fill the black tank with red water from the fresh tank all the way up to toilet bowl. Take out the one screw holding the shroud cover on, so you can get a better look at possible leaks. Replacement isn't hard, about $20, unless there are other problems found. Sealand 510. Don't let anybody talk you into replacing it. Newer ones have a changed footprint and mounting flange issue. RonB