Skip to main content
Topic: RecPro 15K btu heat pump (Read 607 times) previous topic - next topic
RecPro 15K btu heat pump
Has any member installed a replacement RecPro heat pump on their motorhome?  I was considering this after my Dometic drained water inside the coach when the blower fan was turned off.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: RecPro 15K btu heat pump
Reply #1
I installed a Recpro Houghton 15k heat pump unit last July. Quality product, excellent packaging. Really like it. The only criticism I have is the remote is infra-red rather than radio frequency so you have to be very near to the unit when turning on, selecting temp, etc. Here's my post when I installed it. Recpro Houghton

In that same thread, check out RonB's approach to the fitment issue. Much easier and more straightforward than mine.
jor

09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #2
Hi Mike!

I did this as well (Houghton/RecPro are the same unit). We are very, very happy with the change.

Here’s the thread:
Houghton Air Con -

Please let me know if you’re driving through the area and want to check it out.

Jason

Jason

2003 Rear Bath
"Razor Crest"
Our first RV, purchased from the original owner 01/2022

Reply #3

"The only criticism I have is the remote is infra-red rather than radio frequency so you have to be very near to the unit"

I've been using a BAFX infrared repeater in my Airstream for several years to let me control the stereo system when lying in bed. There's no line of sight from the bed to the stereo (a Clarion car radio), so the IR remote wouldn't work. But this simple $11 gadget relays the signal. Works like a charm.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
I've been using a BAFX infrared repeater in my Airstream

That's a great idea, Andy! I just happen to have one of those IR repeaters around here somewhere. I'll give it a try.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #5
Stupid question here:  how do you tell the difference between the two types of remotes?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Stupid question here:  how do you tell the difference between the two types of remotes?
If you place a piece of cardboard or such in front of the remote and it doesn't work, it is IR-only. Note the remote fro one of our TiVos is both, so that test is only valid when controlling an IR-only item.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #7
Thanks Andy for the IR link. Once I have the new AC/HP installed I'll check if it's necessary.
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #8
    Well, I bit the $ bullet and purchased the RecPro heat pump to replace the non functioning Dometic heat pump. Yesterday morning I enlisted two of my neighbors (one being my next door nephew) to assist in the heavy work. I had already disassembled the Dometic unit to the point of removing it from the roof. Due to the sealant LD used to set the unit on the roof we ended up using a sharp machete to cut through the rubber gasket releasing the Dometic from the roof. A vibrating putty knife easily removed the remaining sealant. Getting the Dometic down and the RecPro up on the roof was the easy part thanks to the JohnDeere fork lift and platform. Once inside we did have to expand part of the 14"X14" hole by using a wood saw blade on the vibrating tool. Removed about 1/16" so the bottom plate could easily fit. Hooked up the AC power, put the inside cover on and all works quite well. It was about a 4.5 hour job. Yes, it is much quieter (even on high fan speed) than the Dometic. Since it was cool yesterday I test the heat side which warmed the interior quickly. The cool side also functioned as well.
    The Dometic will be going the the scrap metal yard. The plastic top canopy and the inside plastic shroud are available (free) if some has a need them. You would have to pay the shipping unless you can come by here. The Dometic Product #: 936002697.
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #9
Nice work! That is really “cool”.  Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on its performance.

Ron S
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #10
 Where are the controls for the A/C located?  Mounted the interior cover, a hard-wire wall control or does it use a remote control?
Ouir LD's A/C will die someday and this looks to be a good replacement assuming controls on the interior cover or a remote control are offered.
The hard-wired Dometic wall mount controls for the furnace and A/C are too trouble-prone and difficult to troubleshoot.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #11
Where are the controls for the A/C located? 

It comes with an IR remote control and there is a button on the unit too.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #12
Larry questioned:   "Where are the controls for the A/C located?"

All the control function fo the RecPro are with the infrared (IR) remote control. The remote also comes with a wall mount (see photo) which in my rear bath I located mid coach above the Fantastic fans IR remote mounting. The unit can be operated by the centralized plenum display touch controls if the remote is not available. The remote works well from front to back inside the coach when point it toward the AC.

For those interested here is the installation and operators manual for the RecPro (Houghton) A3800 AC & heat pump.

<https://www.recpro.com/content/RP-AC3500%20RP-
AC3800%2013.5k%2015k%20AC%20Heat%20Pump%20Combined.pdf> 

I now am exclusively using the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA & AA batteries as they don't leak like the alkaline batteries do. Over the years I have lost the use of many electronic items because of battery leakage. Yes, the do cost more but they also seem to have more stored energy than the alkaline batteries.
Mike C
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'