Skip to main content
Topic: Ford motor- arm replacement in window (Read 284 times) previous topic - next topic
Ford motor- arm replacement in window
has anybody had this happen? I have the 2003 rear bath and the other day the window fell halfway into the door frame on the driver side. Figuring it was the motor or a cable, had broken,I ordered a new motor and regulator, since they come together. After getting most of the door taken apart, I discovered that they used some kind of glue or worse to seal the metal to the window and therefore to the regulator arm.
They used three rivets to hold the motor in place, two rivets on the bottom of the extender  and two rivets up at the top to hold the piece of metal that they glued to the window .
I have been to two Ford dealers several other repair type shops. Nobody has seen anything like it. Nobody is really certain how to get the glue off the window to get the extender arm off. Are there any other people who have had this problem and how have you solved it ?
 Why on earth did Ford use rivets and glue or worse to attach to pieces they knew  in time , need replacing?
One thing after another this month!
Thanks,
Lynn
2003 Rear Bath

Re: Ford motor- arm replacement in window
Reply #1
Hi Lynn;  I've been inside my driver door to repair part of the door latch mechanism, and I noticed some items were glued and/or pop riveted. Also not in an 'easy to work on' way. Explanations I heard at the time involved making it harder for outsiders to basically just unscrew the door locks on the outside to gain access to the vehicle.  Or to make it easier to manufacture.  Possibly a little of both.   Pictures always appreciated.  I didn't take pictures of my repair back then, wish I had just to remember what I did.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
I have replaced two motor/ regulators and yes, the five rivets need to be removed, replaced preferably with nuts and bolts.
I’m having a hard time imagining what is glued together that needs to be removed, as Ron suggested, photos would be helpful.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Pictures were not coming out, could not get clear shots! But, I found a place in Yuma where a couple old guys at a body shop knew what to do.
I had ( with help) removed the motor rivets and the rivets at the bottom of the extender.
The guys took an hour after removing the rivets at the top, to break off the metal below the glass were the glue was holding a metal piece to the glass.
Another mechanic told me the rivets do not have to be removed, you can go in the 3 holes near the motor and drill out the bolts.
I did nit understand that part.
It is hard to understand.
Best effort: the top of the regulator has 2 rivets into a piece of about 6 inch long metal and that metal is glued to the glass.

2003 Rear Bath

Reply #4
I'm glad you got it fixed, I wish I understood what was done.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze