Skip to main content
Topic: Flat towing a Jeep Wrangler  (Read 294 times) previous topic - next topic
Flat towing a Jeep Wrangler
Our 2002 Honda CRV is getting tired and I'm looking for a new tow vehicle.

Anyone have experience towing a Jeep Wrangler?

I've been reading that it is better to tow them when they have their stock tires on to avoid the dreaded wobble as they call it. Has this been your experience?
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Flat towing a Jeep Wrangler
Reply #1
Anyone have experience towing a Jeep Wrangler?
I've been reading that it is better to tow them when they have their stock tires on to avoid the dreaded wobble as they call it. Has this been your experience?

We have towed a Jeep for over 120,000 miles, first a 2001 Jeep Cherokee and now a 2020 2-door Jeep Rubicon. I have always run BFG KO2 all-terrain tires, what you would call an off-road tire without issues.
The wobble is called "Death wobble" because it feels like the front end is coming apart. This is caused by something(s) being loose in the steering or front suspension. None of my Jeeps have done this because I'm a bit fanatical about keeping them in good mechanical condition.
You will find that many members of the group have successfully towed Jeep Wranglers. Try to avoid the 4-door version to keep the weight down. These vehicles are not light.

The hitch and bumper should be upgraded with a minimum of higher-grade attachment hardware as shown in my Flicker files.
You might want to consult a hitch shop about an upgrade, to be safe.

Do it, we have had a lot of fun with the Jeeps, now in southern Arizona running the backroads.
Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Flat towing a Jeep Wrangler
Reply #2
We have towed our 2014 Jeep Wrangler over 60,000 miles without any problems.  We have all terrain tires on ours that we faithfully rotate every 5,000 miles of towing + driving.
Ross Taylor
2017 MB