Skip to main content
Topic: error code E6 on surge protector (Read 478 times) previous topic - next topic
error code E6 on surge protector
happy holidays LDO! i’m grateful to be here.

as a newbie and not tech savvy, i come in search of help trying to hook up power to the garage. i bought a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X RV Surge Protector and a Ficstar RV Adapter 30 Amp to 110 Volt RV Adapter Cord 12 Inch,NEMA 5-15P to NEMA TT-30R Electrical Power Adapter,12/3 Gauge RV Dogbone Adapter Cord with Grip.

i plugged in the adapter to the garage outlet, then the surge protector, then the power cord to the 2015 LD. i got an E  6 error code: Line 2 Low voltage. i unplugged all. i then tried the adapter and the surge protector without the rv power cord. still got the E 6 warning. also said 60H

do i need an electrician?

thanks in advance brainy, experienced rvers,
angelique
2004 26.5 RK

Re: error code E6 on surge protector
Reply #1
What are you trying to accomplish?   It might not be possible to run very much off of a garage outlet in that sort of situation.

Results can also depend on what else is running at the same time on the garage circuit (if there is a fridge, freezer, or heater in the garage, you can have issues).

Finally, results can vary based on how robust the wiring is in the garage - older houses can be undersized for modern loads. 

Low voltage typically means that either (1) too much stuff is being run on 1 circuit or (2) the extension cords are too long - or both.

Without knowing more about your particular situation, it's hard to give an exact recomendation.   In general though, you have to temper your expectations substantially when you plug a RV into a garage outlet like that.   No A/C or electric heat, no microwave, sparse use of anything else. 

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #2
thanks Rich.

nothing is plugged into the garage. it is an old  house built in the 30’s. there is a garage opener however - don’t know if that affects it.  i can charge my car off that outlet using an extension cord. no extension needed with long rv power cord.

I’m basically just trying to make sure the pipes don’t freeze if we have a cold spell here.
2004 26.5 RK

Reply #3
i tried an outlet on the outside of the garage and it read an error 3 code open ground. the house read normal but it can’t reach to the house. may have to just keep it unplugged and get it winterized.

only concern then is how ling the lithium batteries can sit without charging from driving. (?)
2004 26.5 RK

Reply #4

Hi Angelique;  We can try to help, but we need to know a lot more about your house and the climate there where your motorhome is.  Try just plugging in the motorhome with your adaptor. without the surge protector.  Not having a ground with your exterior outlet isn't too bad. Low voltage may be 'not good' depending on how low is low. 
    This is the outlet socket tester I carry to check campground outlets before I plug in my shore power cable.  Taiss GFCI Outlet Tester New Advanced Receptacle Tester with Voltage Display...   Under $15, and it displays voltage too.  The lights light up to indicate anything improper. (or proper)  I would use this to double check your power manager.   Just plugging in the motorhome can result in quite a power drain.  The converter is usually turned on, and will start providing power to the entire motorhome 'house' and start charging your Lithium batteries. Check to make sure your Air conditioning in the LD is turned off along with the heat strip, if you have one, as part of your roof A/C. Make sure the refrigerator is turned off also.
     The low voltage error message may just be slightly less than 105 VAC, or a lot less!
      A house wired in the '30's could present all sorts of issues depending on how much and when it was upgraded.  Visions of 'knob and tube', or 'bare wire' antique systems racing past my eyes!     RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #5
only concern then is how long the lithium batteries can sit without charging from driving. (?)

Lithium batteries self-discharge at meager rates and should be fine in the spring.
How cold do you expect to see? Each battery manufacturer has its own specifications but generally, most lithium batteries can withstand -4 degrees Fahrenheit and some even lower temps.
Here is a cold weather information page from Battleborn.
Will Lithium Batteries Freeze? | Battle Born Batteries

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6

"Not having a ground with your exterior outlet isn't too bad."

How so, Ron? I would think a missing ground was potentially dangerous, and would not use that outlet until the problem was fixed.

The Taiss outlet tester looks like a good, informative one. My only quibble is that it's pretty bulky and might be difficult to use with some outlets, such as an outdoor outlet in a box with a cover. I'd want to add a 6" extension cord to allow for that kind of situation.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Hi Andy;  Right next to my tester in the port side compartment I have a double duplex socket adaptor that can plug into a single outlet extension cord. It has about a one foot cord, so it could allow me to plug into a pedestal outlet.
   The grounds in the motorhome are grouped together in the buss bar mounted inside the AC breaker portion of the power distribution box. Ideally that bussbar of ground connections should continue on through your shore power cord, into the house and be connected at your service entrance.  You'll find that the grounds are connected to the neutral there.  The grounds are so that if you cut or damaged a cord or outlet, or wiring (for instance) by putting a nail in a wire; that the neutral is already grounded, but a hot lead would be shorted to ground (or neutral) and trip the breaker to prevent a dangerous situation from existing very long.  Messy, crude and effective.   In our LD except for the air conditioner, the outlets are protected by a GFCI breaker. It measures real time that all of the current going in and out match perfectly. A discrepancy of just a few milliamps, for a very short time. (40 ms. IIRC) will be shut off.  The first GFCI's were very unforgiving of inductive appliances.  I think those are better now.
     For temporary service at Angelique's home, the lack of a ground isn't ideal, and she should have that provided as an extra safety measure. A ground stake nearby, driven into the ground with a little salt water, and a wire to the motorhome chassis would work. Might be easier too. Been there, done that! 8 foot bronze rod and a powder puff!  RonB     ( I guess 'cheap' systems use copper plated steel rods now a days)

Reply #8
Hi Angelique;  We can try to help, but we need to know a lot more about your house and the climate there where your motorhome is.  Try just plugging in the motorhome with your adaptor. without the surge protector. 

One can do this, but definitely don't run the roof air/heat pump with a known low-voltage situation.  You'll risk permanent damage.

Low voltage on a Progressive EMS unit means the incoming shore power is below 108 VAC.  That's bad.  The Progressive is there to protect you from that sort of condition.

Reply #9
thanks all for the valuable info! with no freezing weather in the near forecast, we plan on staying unplugged for awhile until an electrician can get us properly outfitted, just to be on the safe side.

happy new year!
2004 26.5 RK

Reply #10
[Unnecessary comment removed - moderator Michelle]

Freespirit does not have his location in his profile, so we can not guess how cold it might get, in a basement. I never winterized beyond blowing out the water in the lines and draining the water heater in 12 years, tho I do live in a temperate area. Every few years it would dip in the low 20's and I would turn on a space heater as insurance against freezing whatever water might remain in the pump.

The Progressive Industries I had showed the voltage. Lacking that readout knowing how to use a VOM would be helpful. In storage, only 12v volt appliances would be powered and un-used so no harm from low AC voltage occurs to me.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #11
Hi Angelique;  You could always run a small box heater at low wattage (400 Watts or so) from an extension cord run through a window from your garage outlet, or your outdoor outlet.  This would keep your rig's waterlines and Lithium batteries from freezing.  None of this is necessary until you do reach below 32 degree temperatures.  Below freezing, you absolutely need to do things to protect the motorhome, mostly plumbing and waterlines, and the expensive LiF batteries. 
     That low voltage warning from your 'surge suppressor' is mostly to protect the air conditioner compressor.  A 2004 probably doesn't have a heat pump (which also runs the compressor) on your roof.  Most everything else can take low voltages down into below 100 VAC ranges.  That PI power management system is also there to protect against unknown mis-wirings of (pedestal) outlets while camping at new locations.  Your house outlets won't suddenly rewire themselves as long as they were correct to start with.  That comment "an electrician can get us properly outfitted," is applicable to your house!  I'm sure the motorhome is in good shape.   RonB

Reply #12
awesome ron b, thanks so much for your input! i’ll get a little heater. easy!

this is actually for the 2015. i’m not as worried about the 2004 because i had it winterized. it is still for sale, btw.

happy new year lazy days people!!
2004 26.5 RK