Skip to main content
Topic: Kwikee understep light quit working (Read 218 times) previous topic - next topic
Kwikee understep light quit working
The understep light on my Kwikee automatic step recently stopped working. I replaced the bulb but that did not remedy the problem. All other actions of the step work fine. Any ideas on what troubleshooting steps I can take from here? I've attached a picture of the wiring schematic that is in Kwikee operator manual that pertains to my unit in case that is helpful. Thanks all.

Matt
2004 26.5 Island Bed. Gumby
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Re: Kwikee understep light quit working
Reply #1
"Any ideas on what troubleshooting steps I can take..."

Although I was able to enlarge the diagram you posted I could not find a way to print it.

However, it appears that there is an inline connector prior to the control unit. Do you recall finding that connector and have you examined it for corrosion?  ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
Yes, I was able to disconnect at that point and inspect. The connections appeared to be in good shape. The clear protective boot  on that connection did not appear to be dried out or cracked.

Matt

Reply #3
"...what troubleshooting steps I can take..."

Okay! presuming that the inline connector is faultless, it's wire run leads to the Control Unit. I would be suspicious of that unit. But the diagram also shows a group of six fuses... can you determine where they are located and if any are blown? Perhaps they are in the fuse box under the hood! Trying to cover all the bases!

Should it finally come down to that Control Unit it may be difficult if not impossible to troubleshoot or replace.

I also have the electric steps but cannot remember if they have the same wiring.
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #4
"...what troubleshooting steps I can take..."

Okay! presuming that the inline connector is faultless, it's wire run leads to the Control Unit. I would be suspicious of that unit. But the diagram also shows a group of six fuses... can you determine where they are located and if any are blown? Perhaps they are in the fuse box under the hood! Trying to cover all the bases!
Should it finally come down to that Control Unit it may be difficult if not impossible to troubleshoot or replace.

LDs with electric steps have two fuses for the steps, a 20-amp main fuse and a 5-amp fuse on the switch that controls the automatic retraction of the step.
If the door functions normally, except for the under-step light, both fuses are OK. The light receives positive DC power directly from the control module, the light is grounded through its base into the step's frame.
The light's base is an RV side marker light and it suffers from the same poor connections that all marker lights eventually do.

My first move would be to verify the light and bulb are grounded. I have seen every other part go bad on the Kwikee electric steps except for the control module.

Kwikee is long gone, the step and repair parts are now produced by Lippert Components, available from Etrailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=kwikee++electric+steps&furl=-pg-Accessories_and_Parts&paging=2

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Thank you both for the great information. It seems like the next, most doable thing to check is the ground. How would I check that? When I remove the lens it looks like there are two screws in the base that connect it to the metal frame of the step. Do I remove these and check behind the base?

Reply #6
"...most doable thing to check is the ground. How would I check that?"

You will need to use the Ohms function on your multimeter! One side of the bulb socket will no doubt show an 'open' or infinite reading. The opposite side should show a very low ohms reading (near zero). If it does not show a low reading it needs to be disassembled, cleaned to the bare metal and reassembled.  :o

"... it looks like there are two screws in the base that connect it to the metal frame of the step."

One or both of the two screws may be the path to ground!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Live for the day!

Reply #7
Hi Matt;  The schematic shows a purple 16 g. wire labeled "optional step light switch" coming out of the control 'unit'.  I expect that there is a switch somewhere that that wire goes to.  I would check that that switch is working, and that the purple wire gets to it properly. It is possible that that wire was intended for someone to just have a step light that could be turned on at night, and may not be necessary for other uses of the light.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #8
Thanks for the greati info. I will check into all suggestions once things dry out from a rainy stretch that it looks like it is starting in my location. Happy Holidays!  Matt