Skip to main content
Topic: Satellite radio antenna installed in cabover escape hatch? (Read 129 times) previous topic - next topic
Satellite radio antenna installed in cabover escape hatch?
Has anyone installed a satellite radio antenna in the cabover escape hatch above the cabover bunk, as opposed to installing it outside on the roof? If so, how has that worked? Thanks.
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Re: Satellite radio antenna installed in cabover escape hatch?
Reply #1
Has anyone installed a satellite radio antenna in the cabover escape hatch above the cabover bunk, as opposed to installing it outside on the roof? If so, how has that worked? Thanks.

Our XM antenna has happily lived under the escape hatch for a couple of decades. The antenna sits on top of the screen, secured with velcro. The plastic lid does not interfere with reception.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Which flavor of satellite radio do you have in mind, Terry?
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
I installed the XM antenna under the escape hatch when I owned a Lazy Daze.  My daughter has the RV now.  I placed the antenna over the screen.  To keep it from moving about I used a steel washer on the underside of the screen. The washer had an outside diameter around 3/4 inch.  I wanted enough contact area between the washer and magnet to firmly sandwich the screen.  I left enough slack in the wire in the area so the hatch could open easily. Sorry I do not have pictures. 
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #4
John, thanks. How was the reception?

Terry
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV