Skip to main content
Topic: Electric Heater Advice  (Read 279 times) previous topic - next topic
Electric Heater Advice
As I previously posted, I'm leaving in a few days to winter in Puerto Penasco, Sonora, Mexico.  This year I tried to find a small rental, but sadly the man I had arranged to rent from just  had his wife go through a ten hour surgery to have her malignant kidney removed.  Needless to say, his focus is not on a rental at the moment.

Therefore, I'm taking my Lazy Daze.  Don't get me wrong, I love my little RV and it's "tricked out" to my liking.  Last year, there were more cold days than normal, and more than one wind storm (excess of 50 mph) to my liking.  I've decided not to park at the usual dry camp park, and seek a few more creature comforts.  In short, I'm renting a single RV space in a now defunct B & B that the owner created for her sister and late husband.  She had installed water, an RV electric post with 30/50 amp, and a dump.  There's a high electronic gate surrounding the property, and she's allowing me to stay for $400/month.  The beach is a short five minutes away by car, and this will be much more "peaceful and quiet." 

I tried to go back and read advice on electric space heaters.  I read a post from approximately a year ago that Andy Baird had commented on regarding two small electric heaters and running them at 750 watts with the one in front plugged into the site for the microwave.  Previously, I've used my Wave 6 propane heater and still could but I never run it at night when sleeping.  I have a Honeywell small electric tower heater that I could bring, but somehow I recall the last time I used it running a cord through my bathroom window and using the 15 amp plug. 

My needs won't be overwhelming as the winter temps there are usually stable around 50 degrees at night.  However, since electricity is included in my monthly rental fee I'd like to be comfortable.

On another note, I just bought a slimmer recommended pizza stone from Amazon (I presently have an unglazed terra cotta tile) as I want to try my hand at making sourdough bread this winter.  If I decide to bring my Instant Pot, I'm sure that the draw is so large that I can't run anything else at the same time. 

Sorry, but I was a teacher and have no concept of electrical/mechanical workings...
Cheryl (a.k.a. Desert Diva)
1998 Lazy Daze (26.5 mid-bath)
2002 Honda CR-V

Re: Electric Heater Advice
Reply #1

After seeing a friend's Vornado heater in action, we got one too, and have been very pleased. Extremely quiet, but puts out plenty of heat and distributes it well. Our model has three heat settings for power and a thermostat - basic but perfect for overnight when noise from most heaters can be annoying.

Amazon.com: Vornado MVH Space 3 Heat Settings, Adjustable Thermostat,...

Steve

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2

General advice:

1. All electric heaters are 100% efficient, and a 1,500 watt heater (which almost all of them are) puts out the same amount of heat whether the box says it's for a small, medium, or large room. So don't be mislead into spending more for a model that claims it's for larger rooms.

2. Yes, two heaters on low or medium power will do a better job of heating a Lazy Daze than one heater on high power. They spread the heat around more effectively.

3. A heater with three heat settings (in addition to fan only) is desirable, because you can run two of them on their lowest settings (typically 600 watts) and still have some power left over for other things. But all small heaters have at least two heat settings, so if that's all you can find, fine.

4. The reason for all this concern about running multiple heaters is that all the household outlets in your Lazy Daze are on a single circuit, with a maximum total capacity for all outlets of about 1,800 watts. If all the appliances you have plugged in and turned on add up to more than that, you're likely to trip a circuit breaker.

There's one exception: the outlet that powers your microwave oven is on a separate circuit, which it shares with your air conditioner. That outlet is typically buried deep inside one of the upper kitchen cabinets. In a midbath, it's the one in the corner behind the sink. Reach w-a-y back in there, and you'll find a duplex outlet with one plug in it--the microwave's cord. You can power a heater from the other half of that outlet, and thus avoid overloading your other household outlets... as long as you don't try to run the microwave at the same time. (I assume you won't be running heaters and the air conditioner at the same time.)

5. The same caution goes for other high-wattage appliances: you probably won’t want to run a coffeemaker, hair dryer, or electric frying pan at the same time as a heater that’s plugged into a household outlet. Doing so risks tripping a breaker.

6. When choosing a heater, avoid "ceramic" heaters and those whose heating element is a small, densely finned core. No matter what the labeling claims, they're no more efficient per watt. (Remember, all electric heaters are 100% efficient.) More important, those tight cores accumulate lint and pet hairs, and can clog to the point where a fire is a real possibility. I've seen a heater whose core was almost half clogged with lint that was visibly scorched. Preferably choose a heater with large, open coils of heating wire inside. They gather less lint, and they're much easier to blow clean.

7. Surprisingly, I've found the best heaters to be the cheapest ones, such as this twenty dollar model, or similar cheap heaters from Holmes. This one has two heat levels, but I've found similar ones with three levels at local stores such as Walmart and Home Depot for less than twenty dollars.

8. One more thing: power in Mexico can be unreliable, and in particular can run to excessive voltages that could damage your appliances. If you don’t have an energy management system such as the Progressive Industries EMS-30 , you should get one. It will protect your rig against improperly wired outlets, too-high or too-low voltages, spikes and surges, and other potentially damaging problems.

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Spot on advice, Andy. Over the 19 years that we traveled in our 30', I used the same cheapo Holmes heater I bought new in 2002. It still works fine. In my bring up file, I had a reminder to blow the fuzzies out each year with a vac. And often I used the duplex behind the microwave.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #4
We have a Vornado portable heater for home use, as well, and love it!
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #5
General advice:

One more thing: power in Mexico can be unreliable, and in particular can run to excessive voltages that could damage your appliances. If you don’t have an energy management system such as the Progressive Industries EMS-30 , you should get one. It will protect your rig against improperly wired outlets, too-high or too-low voltages, spikes and surges, and other potentially damaging problems.

Thank you so very much Andy for the detailed reply.  I actually have a Progressive Industries surge protector that I purchased in 2021 and  it may even be the one you recommended on Amazon.  (RV is five miles away in storage.)  I'll purchase the small electric heater your recommended on Amazon, and I should be comfortable for the winter along with the Honeywell tower I already have (with adjustable wattage settings). 

I don't use my microwave (even though I bought a new one to replace the original one that came with my RV in 2021).  If I'm understand correctly, I can safely use two heaters at 750 watts AND plug one into the microwave outlet if I'm not using it. 

Actually, I usually dry camp and use my Wave 6 heater.  However, the Puerto Penasco temps rarely fall below 50 degrees at night and the "shock" is usually getting out of a warm bed (down duvet plus dog) and turning it on until the rig warms up.   Last winter "on the beach" was somewhat dicey with many days of unusual colder temps and high winds. 

Not related, but "interesting," I just bought a different "lighter" pizza stone than my unglazed 12x12 Saltillo tile that I bought in Puerto Penasco.  I'm hoping to try my luck at making sourdough bread.  I know many people would never think about traveling to Mexico for the late autumn/winter, but I've found it's where I live my best life.  I have friendships that I revisit and have never felt unsafe - usually traveling the distance from the border at Lukeville in a little over an hour. 

Thank you once again for coming through with your expertise and knowledge...
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #6
Spot on advice, Andy. Over the 19 years that we traveled in our 30', I used the same cheapo Holmes heater I bought new in 2002. It still works fine. In my bring up file, I had a reminder to blow the fuzzies out each year with a vac. And often I used the duplex behind the microwave.

Thanks Chris - good to know!
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #7
Yes, we had the Vornado heater also and really liked it.  Well, we still have it but the 2006 26.5 RB has gone onto another owner.  One sure means of making the most of keeping your rig warm is to remember to block off the cab with a heavy blanket and pull the privacy curtain across the upper bunk.   This will help keep the warmth in the 'living area'  where you want it. 
Enjoy your trip and stay.  
Happy Trails,
Juli W.
Minden, NV
Juli W.
Former owner 1994 mid bath,  2006 26.5'rear bath

Reply #8
Yes, we had the Vornado heater also and really liked it.  Well, we still have it but the 2006 26.5 RB has gone onto another owner.  One sure means of making the most of keeping your rig warm is to remember to block off the cab with a heavy blanket and pull the privacy curtain across the upper bunk.   This will help keep the warmth in the 'living area'  where you want it. 
Enjoy your trip and stay.  
Happy Trails,
Juli W.

Thanks for reminding me Juli.  I actually use a blanket and close the upper curtains, but also installed a tension shower curtain bar and have some thermal backed curtains. 
2002 Honda CR-V

Reply #9
"If I'm understand correctly, I can safely use two heaters at 750 watts AND plug one into the microwave outlet if I'm not using it."

Yes, that's right. If you have 1,500 watts total powered by your regular household outlets, you'll have to be cautious about running any other appliances--you'll be right up near the limit for that circuit. But the microwave's outlet won't be affected.

Honestly, with lows around 50° F, I'd be surprised if you need three heaters at once. For what it's worth, my usual procedure when plugged in in cold weather is to run the furnace for half an hour in the morning to quickly take the chill off, and then keep comfortable with a single cheap electric heater on low power under the dinette table where I usually sit.

When boondocking, I use the same routine, getting a quick half-hour boost from the furnace and then using a Wave 3 propane heater that's mounted about four feet away from the table to stay warm for the rest of the day.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"