Skip to main content
Topic: Converter Fan 4655 (Read 121 times) previous topic - next topic
Converter Fan 4655
I just replaced the converter with the PD4655 to support lithium batteries. I still have the wet cells installed. The wet cells are charged. Anyhow, with all the 12 volt stuff running, the converter is charging the battery bank at 13.65v but the converter fan is not running. Is this normal? Thanks.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Re: Converter Fan 4655
Reply #1
Yes, the PD converters only run the fan when it is getting too warm.  Nice bonus....
2016 Mid Bath

Reply #2
I just replaced the converter with the PD4655 to support lithium batteries. I still have the wet cells installed. The wet cells are charged. Anyhow, with all the 12 volt stuff running, the converter is charging the battery bank at 13.65v but the converter fan is not running. Is this normal? Thanks.
jor

At 13.65V your batteries are fully charged, and the converter is running float mode. If you press the button to force bulk charge, fully charged flooded cell will also not cause the fan to trip on. With LFP batteries it will be a different story. With the batteries discharged by even just 10% they will draw a lot of current and likely turn on the fan for awhile...

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
With the batteries discharged by even just 10%, they will draw a lot of current and likely turn on the fan for a while...

Our 200-amp/hour lithium battery will pull 50-amps until nearly fully charged with the PD 9270 converter The converter's fan will definitely be running if the converter runs for more than 15 minutes.
One advantage of lithium batteries is their ability to more efficiently use solar charging and short charging periods when using the converter, which is rare. Normally our LD's converter circuit breaker is turned off, letting the batteries charge exclusively on solar.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze