Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing the coach body mounts (Read 200 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing the coach body mounts
Hi folks,

We recently bought a 2006 26.5 MB.  During an inspection of the front suspension parts the shop told me that the rubber body mounts for the coach were rotting and should be replaced.  This isn't something that would have occurred to me.  I crawled under the coach and was able to inspect two of them and they are checked and/or cracked but not loose or completely collapsed.  I don't know if this is a concern or not.

Is this a common problem on an older coach?  Has anyone had them replaced and what type of shop did the work?  Our Ford dealer doesn't deal with motorhomes. The suspension shop told me to go to a body shop but I can't imagine an automotive body shop doing this type of work.

It looked like it would be a horrendous job to get them out and replaced (i.e., expensive!).  Any advice or personnal history would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Terry

Re: Replacing the coach body mounts
Reply #1
Our LDs have a body-on-frame construction. The cab and coach both sit on rubber bushings located on top of the frame, Yes, the mounts can deteriorate and eventually need replacement.

The cab rubber mounts can be changed without a huge effort.
The coach mounts are a different story, the bolts that secure the bushings are located under the floor and cabinets.  I have no experience changing these bushings.
In my experience, the cab mounts are usually more worn than the coach bushings.
New bushing kits are available.
2006 FORD E-450 6.8L V10 Body Mount | RockAuto

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Larry,
Thanks very much for the reply.  A couple of questions for clarification.

When I was under the coach I found two mounts, one on each side, just aft of the rear end differential.  I was just able to reach up above the mounts and it seemed that I could feel the top of the bolt that goes through the mount.  When you mentioned that the bolts are under the floor and cabinets were you saying that the bolt heads are actually inside the coach (buried somewhere under the cabinets)?  I'll have to crawl back underneath and take another look.  I thought from what I was seeing that there were some kind of mounting tabs that were welded or attached to the bottom of the coach itself through which the mount bolt was inserted and tightened down to the frame.  I'd hate to think that a shop would have to remove cabinetry to get to the bolts.  Please clarify for me.

Also, how many mounts are there total (for the coach only)?  And do you know the approximate location of them all?

Thanks again Larry.  If anyone else has a thought or information on this topic please shoot out a reply.
Regards,
Terry

Reply #3
I have only changed the mounts for the cab, not the coach. I don't know what would be involved in changing the coach mounts but it would be a big project due to so much stuff being in the way and the need to remove the bolts from the top.

Each floorplan has a different collection of rubber mounts, our 24' FL has 8 coach mounts and 6 cab mounts, longer models should have additional mounts.
Without more information, photos, or inspecting it myself, it's difficult to give advice.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Here is a post from Joan on the matter of bolts to frame positions.

“Re: frame bolts. The search feature on this forum is found on the drop down list which appears when "hovering" over the little house icon on the home page; a search using "frame bolts" as a keyword will bring up dozens of posts containing relevant information on the topic. 

Basically (and there is more information to be gained from some of the posts mentioned above as available through a search), it's a good idea to inspect the frame mounting bolts (holds the "box" to the frame) every 1-2 years; check at more frequent intervals if you travel consistently on bad roads.  The bolts at the rear of the coach are the most likely to need tightening.  Use a 9/16" deep socket and 15-20 ft/lb torque if one has equipment to measure torque. Don't overtighten the bolts and risk pulling the bolt heads through the plywood floor of the box. (Note: Not all of the frame bolts are accessible.)

Inspect the mounting hardware and bolts on the gas tank, holding tanks, generator, and entry step at least once each year. I suggest doing all the bolt tightening (and undercarriage inspection) one can manage at one time to save having to crawl under the rig and scoot around multiple times.

YMMV, as always.
More...”

Hope this helps.
Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #5
Thanks Kent!  I'll do that search as Joan mentions.

Terry