Skip to main content
Topic: Replacement Converter Blowing the Circuit (Read 191 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacement Converter Blowing the Circuit
I have been doing an upgrade on my solar system since April. My problem now is that I replaced the converter to a PD4645VL (replaced a PD4645 non lithium specific) for the lithium batteries. I installed it in August and have not got it working. We had several trips and I did not need the converter operational until now. I also replaced the 30/15 amp breaker. This is what happens: when the rv is plugged into shore power the 30amp breaker is on and I have power to all my outlets. This is how we operated while we were on our trips. But when I turn on the 15amp breaker for the converter, there is a flash and the main breaker trips (from  the house or power source) this happens on our 20 amp house circuit and the campsite 30 amp circuit. I have taken apart all the connections and reinstalled them multiple times both on the ac side and the dc side.

From the picture the ac side is on the left and the white (negative) wire from the converter goes to the bottom of the neutral distribution block (on the left, the green ground goes to the ground bar (top of picture and the black goes to the 15amp breaker for the converter. On the dc side (right of the picture) the black wire goes to CONV+ terminal and the white (negative) wire goes to the terminal labeled CONV NEG-. Also in this terminal is a black wire for the solar panel negative ( the solar positive is the red wire (labeled) and is attached to the BATT POS+ terminal. The other wire connected to the BATT NEG- is battery and the other one I don't know. This is the way Lazy Daze wired it for the solar.

I did not use the new dc distribution board as the instruction said I did not need the 4 wire harness (i just installed it now and it makes no difference) and did not need to replace the distribution board if it is set up lithium, which it is.

2 questions:
- should I disconnect the converter and install the old one to see if I get the same problem?
- should I install the new distribution board before doing the above?

Could there be a fault with the new converter?

I am open to any suggestions as this has me baffled.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ
Owner of 2000 26.5 RK, came back to the family
Previously 2014 Newmar Baystar
Previously 2001 LD 26.5 MB

Re: Replacement Converter Blowing the Circuit
Reply #1
2 questions:
- should I disconnect the converter and install the old one to see if I get the same problem?
- should I install the new distribution board before doing the above?
Could there be a fault with the new converter?

The new converter could be defective, reinstalling the old converter should provide an answer. Just connect the wiring without a full installation to check this.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Thanks Larry. I unhooked the wires from both the ac and dc side and attached the wires from the old converter into the proper places. When I turned on the electricity it worked! I will now connect with Randy at Best Converter and let him know what I did and that the new converter is defective.

I appreciate your help.

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ

Reply #3
Hi Kevin;  The green wire coming from the right, tells me that the black and white wires you've got connected on the left are actually the DC output wires.  The smaller black and white wires on the right, (near the green wire) are the AC 110v. input leads. Black to the 15 Amp breaker, white to the neutral bus bar.  The thicker black and white wires are to carry more current, and are the DC 13.6v  (12+ volts)  outputs to the fuse board/battery.
    While the converter components may be bad now,  it might still be operable and worth a try to hookup.

reference at BestConverter:  Magnetek Upgrade

This is a mislabeled topic, actually a 4655 converter:  Progressive Dynamics 9245C Upgrade   and my reply #18 excerpt:     "I also didn't like how the AC wires on the right had to go through the left hole, and the DC wires on the left had to go through the right hole."

Another description in the installation instructions state:  "9. Slide new converter into power center. Route black/white/green wire-set into AC power section and black/white wire-pair into DC section. Secure converter by snapping into bracket installed in step #7"

The first page in the "Companion"  about the installation of the 4655VL converter has a good color picture of the smaller black, white and green wires sourced near that blue rectangular feature on the right, as being the 110VAC wires that go to the ground buss bar (green or bare copper), Neutral buss bar (white), and black wire to the circuit breaker.  The Lazy Daze Companion: Converter   The large black wire with a small white band label marked + goes to the fuse board marked converter positive.  (Mine was a red wire). The large thick white wire went to the battery negative.

I hope this helps you to determine if any of your wires are misplaced.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
Hi Ron,

You found my error! I was installing a transfer switch # 2 at the same time I was upgrading the converter. I thought I knew the wiring instructions and just wired the right side of the converter to the right side of the electrical distribution boards. Even when I took the converter out I did not notice the labeled dc wires. This morning after reading your message,  I looked more carefully at the wires and realized my mistake. I just now reinstalled the converter and I also replaced the old dc distribution board since I was reinstalling anyway. Once I hooked up power I checked the positive and negative terminals on the dc board with my multimeter and I get 14.67 volts.

Thank you very much for your eagle eyes. I learned a lesson to make sure I really understand the electrical instructions and the wiring. I also checked my wiring from the transfer switch #1 to transfer switch #2 and back to the ac side of the electrical panel. All was good there.

I appreciate you and Larry in helping me with this problem.

Kevin Hannah

Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ