Skip to main content
Topic: Camp Host Experience  (Read 372 times) previous topic - next topic
Camp Host Experience
From time to time, I have half heartedly considered Camp Hosting some place cooler during the summer months.

So while Margee was visiting friends, I spent the week at an area State Park helping a Camp Host friend with some of his chores.  It didn’t take long for me to feel a bit of aggravation.  Not many people left their campsite in the same or better condition as when they arrived.  Some were just plain nasty.

Bathrooms!!   Some people didn’t seem to know toilets have a flush handle or understand how to use trash 🚮 containers.  And some males need more practice aiming.

For people who take pride and ownership of their work, this rather relentless cleaning up of an otherwise beautiful area is frustrating.   While this work would kill the joy of RVing for me, I do have a renewed appreciation for the work of Camp Hosts.

So in conclusion, it was a worthwhile experience. 

Re: Camp Host Experience
Reply #1
Some People have no respect and a just lazy pigs  (sorry pigs 🐷 I like you)
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #2
Humans are disgusting creatures. Cleaning up after them would not be a job I'm interested in.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #3
Humans are disgusting creatures. Cleaning up after them would not be a job I'm interested in.
Not all of us are. I was taught to "leave no trace" by my parents beginning in the 50's. We taught our children the same ethos. Many times we left a campsite with more than we came with. We sometimes feel like we're aliens in the country we were born and raised in. Sad.

Charles
Harvest Hosts + Boondockers Welcome #23975
Escapees SKP #138195
2007 23.5' Twin King

Reply #4
People think that since they paid the reservation fee they can do what they want.  They fail to realize that the mess they make has to be cleaned up by paid or volunteers which takes away funding/efforts the improve their onsite experience.  Personally I call those people out and explain to them the errors of their way.  The younger they are the worse they are. 

RonS
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #5
For people who take pride and ownership of their work, this rather relentless cleaning up of an otherwise beautiful area is frustrating.  
Been there done that. I spent 3 months hosting at the Cochise Stronghold in AZ. There were only 8 campsites and two group sites. It turns out that the locals that camped there were the worst. Trash all over their site, left campfires smoldering, messed up the toilet rooms. Fortunately, this only happened 3 times. The out of state campers were the best, leaving their site cleaner than how they found it. Would I do it again? I'm not sure, it was a lot of work but meeting new folks was the highlight of my days.
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #7
"Personally I call those people out..."

Some may listen, some may understand and act accordingly, and some may retaliate against you or your property. You walk a very fine line my friend! 
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #8
My wife & ai camp hosted at June Lake CA for two years but decided we had had enough. We did meet some wonderful people (real campers & rv’rs) and some total jerks. We did meet the LD group there and that’s how we found Jon & Loni’s coach that we now adore. Our biggest complaint was the people from the cities that came to party-not to enjoy nature. And when these large groups got drunk & loud (think 1am) we had to deal with it-alone. The Mono County sheriffs went home @ midnight and the CHP didn’t care. We no longer want to deal with drunk campers but still enjoy the travels.
Frank & Maryann

Reply #9
"Personally I call those people out..."

Some may listen, some may understand and act accordingly, and some may retaliate against you or your property. You walk a very fine line my friend!
I understand what you are saying.  But my intent was to not confront people in an adversarial manner.  Create awareness through flyers at checkin, posted on bathroom doors and mirrors.  Decent people will abide.  But the problem people will do as they wish until the sheriff kicks them out.  

Most of the items people identified here have been going on for 50 years.  There were always drunks, messes and loud partying in campgrounds.  I can remember them when we camped 50 years ago.

RonS
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #10
We've hosted at Minnesota's Cascade River SP twice - each time for about a month. MN hosts have limited responsibilities, one of which is NOT cleaning restrooms at most parks. You might be asked to stock TP or do light cleaning once in awhile. Quiet hours are strictly enforced and backed up by the rangers if need be (we never had an issue). Host sites always have electricity but most do not have water and/or sewer (some do). Worth checking out...

Campground host program | Minnesota DNR

Duties include assisting campers who check in after the office closes, selling firewood at the host site, cleaning out fire pits, stocking rest rooms with TP, calling the ranger if there are any problems with noise etc.
Todd (and Steve)
'17 Winnebago Minnie Winnie and '13 Honda CRV
(Former '99 RB owners from 2012-2016)

Reply #11
Let's stay on topic of camp hosting and not offer side commentary.

Reply #12
My wife & ai camp hosted at June Lake CA for two years but decided we had had enough. We did meet some wonderful people (real campers & rv’rs) and some total jerks. We did meet the LD group there and that’s how we found Jon & Loni’s coach that we now adore.
Yay! Loni & I miss “our” rig, and it does our hearts good to know she continues in loving hands. Thanks!
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄