Skip to main content
Topic: First Major Service on our 2014 MB (Read 403 times) previous topic - next topic
First Major Service on our 2014 MB
All -

I've sifted through a lot of information in the forum on service intervals, and I'm trying to finalize a list of things to do at this point, as I'm sure a lot of items are already overdue.

We took delivery of our 2014 MB in late 2014, and so far all I have done is the easy DIY stuff: regular oil/filter changes, an air filter change at around 15K, and lubing of the steering linkage (four zerks).  Of course we got an alignment done back in about 2015 and a new set of tires a little over two years ago (right after a blowout of the passenger-side inside dual).

We've worked the rig hard, with a lot of mountain driving, much of it towing our Honda CRV.  The current mileage is about 21K.

I definitely want to change the coolant and the brake fluid, get a complete brake inspection, and a complete lube.

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to replace both the transmission fluid and the differential fluid, but I'm not sure whether it's a little early for that.  It's been suggested that these should be done every five years if a lot of towing is done - I'd just like to hear what folks think.  Also, at what point should I worry about cooling system hoses?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

2014 Mid-Bath
2014 Honda CRV toad

Re: First Major Service on our 2014 MB
Reply #1
My 2017’s manual suggested a transmission fluid change at 30,000 miles if dusty or sandy conditions (such as unpaved or dusty roads) or towing.   Given half the roads this summer in Alaska were quite dusty gravel roads, had it changed in Calgary on the way back.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #2
Your issue is time more than mileage.   I would do brake and transmission fluid, engine oil and filter, and air filter.    Possibly coolant. 

The rest can wait, IMHO.  

Rich
2003 MB

Reply #3
Trans and especially differential.
When I did both at 30K, transmission fluid looked good but differential fluid was 'burned'.  I replace diff. fluid every 15 K.  2013 31 IB & 2011 CRV. Rig just turned over 60K.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #4
Trans and especially differential.
When I did both at 30K, transmission fluid looked good but differential fluid was 'burned'.  I replace diff. fluid every 15 K.  2013 31 IB & 2011 CRV. Rig just turned over 60K.

Is the differential fluid change DIY or did you take it to Ford?
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #5

Hi Tim

At this point, I would go along with Rich and say change all the fluids, you are already several years past the 5-year coolant change. Make sure to change the brake fluid too, it should be done every three years or so. 
Fluid changes are cheap compared to replacing components.
A fuel filter change at this time would be good too.
Have your mechanic add grease fittings to the lower and upper ball joints.
While the braking linings may still be fine, the brake calipers and slides can seize after several years, make sure your mechanic checks the calipers for proper operation and that the caliper slides are re-lubricated, a pain to do on the rear brakes.

I use all synthetic fluids including the transmission fluid. If doing a full transmission fluid flush (22 quarts), changing to a synthetic is recommended. When our transmission was rebuilt by master rebuilder John Wood, he suggested using Valvoline synthetic every 30,000 miles.
Amazon.com: Valvoline Multi-Vehicle (ATF) Full Synthetic Automatic Transmissi...

Have the serpentine belt, along with the radiator and heater hoses inspected for hardening and cracking, nine years is a long time even with only 21,000 miles.
Make sure to check the coolant hoses running to the oil cooler making sure they are still flexible, good chance they could be hard and need replacement. They are part of the lower radiator hose.

While not mechanical, checking the floor-to-frame nuts is a good idea if it has not already been done, the hardware loosens over time as the carriage bolts compress and sink into the plywood flooring.

Hope to see you and Florence in March.
Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
God grant me the strength, serenity, and wisdom.....  Ford Dealership does that service.
 ;)
Joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #7

It's a DIY job if...you have a way of safely lifting and supporting 9000 lbs. Ramps or a jack and 12K jack stands work.
The axle cover should be removed to allow cleaning and inspection. Vacuuming ther fluid out is the cheap, less effective way of changing the fluid, I consider it a partial change becasue some old oil and debris are not removed.
I use a 12-ton air/hydrulic jack from Harbor Freight for lifting the front or rear. A decent size air compressor is needed but it makes lifting the rear easy in comparison to using a conventional hydraulic jack.

It's a gooey, messy job, it's near the top of my least favorite things to do, but I do it anyway.
Old clothes, disposable gloves and a couple of broken down large cardborad boxes to cover the driveway make it doable.
With the rig up on stands, it's a good time to remove the tires and lube the rear brake caliper slide pins.  Periodic lubing is needed allowing the calipers to continue to move freely laterally. When they caliper's movement is resricted the brake pad can wear unevenly or over heat.

To fill the axle, use either a pump that fits in the standard 1-qt containers or try to find the new, 1-qt squeezable containers, a much faster, cleaner and overall easier way of filling it. Have fun!

Larry
Larry

Reply #8
 Larry, on your recommendations would you also swap out the spark plugs at this point?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #9
Larry, on your recommendations would you also swap out the spark plugs at this point?

Not at 22,000 miles, plug replacement is not time-dependent. Ford now recommends plug replacement at 60,000 miles.

Larry
Larry

Reply #10
Thanks for all of the great input, you guys!  It was a huge help.

Now, I just need to decide where to take the rig for service.  Right now, I'm leaning toward Fairway Ford in Placentia.  They work on RVs.

Tim

2014 Mid-Bath
2014 Honda CRV toad

Reply #11
We communicated with someone at Redlands Truck & RV today, and here is what he quoted us:

"Wheels off brake inspection, remove calipers and inspect for worn or melted bushings / pistons, inspect pads and rotors, lubricate all slides, flush and bleed hydraulic system at all four corners and run an abs system diag check and inspect parking brake  $1595 – any parts needed will be extra"

"Transmission service – remove pan, replace filter and refill with new fluid 12 qts $ 695 We do not perform a transmission fluid flush as it can cause damage to transmissions"

"Coolant flush , inspect hoses and reservoir , oil cooler hoses and belt and tensioner and advise for replacement if needed $549"

"Rear differential service – Remove rear cover, reseal and refill $495"

"Lubricate chassis $99 – we are unable to install zerk fittings in ball joints."

"Catalytic converter anti theft cable system w/ galvanized cable $595"

"Install frame rail fuel filter $259"

Astonishingly expensive, especially the brake work!

Finding an outfit to tackle our work list is proving to be a challenge.

Tim
2014 Mid-Bath
2014 Honda CRV toad

Reply #12
You are right, these prices are absolutely ridiculous.
My impression is that there are ridiculous everywhere, not just at the service place in Redlands.
You mentioned Fairway Ford, and I’m wondering if you gave up on that idea.

And addition to the high prices, it seems to me that the quality of work being done has dramatically tapered off. Most of the problems I’ve encountered have been because a service person did something wrong. If I wasn’t so old, I would just do everything myself.
2006 MB

Reply #13
You are right, these prices are absolutely ridiculous.
My impression is that there are ridiculous everywhere, not just at the service place in Redlands.
You mentioned Fairway Ford, and I’m wondering if you gave up on that idea.

And addition to the high prices, it seems to me that the quality of work being done has dramatically tapered off. Most of the problems I’ve encountered have been because a service person did something wrong. If I wasn’t so old, I would just do everything myself.

Shop rates of $200 an hour or more are common today and one reason why at age 73 I still take care of everything possible.
I would rather use the money for traveling. This also provides me with better information to pass along on maintaining our aging rigs.

Pass me the Aleve, please.
Larry
Larry

Reply #14
Thanks for the replies.

I did give up on Fairway Ford, because they maintain a sort of firewall between the customer and the techs.  I could see that it was not going to be easy for me to make sure that things are done right.

Although the ridiculous prices are a definite issue, an even larger concern for me is the quality of the work.  I'm almost willing to pay gouge rates if the work is excellent, and I need adequate visibility to ensure that it is.

This is why I spent part of my morning finally figuring out how to level the coach in our mountain slope of a driveway.  This opens up more room underneath for me to work, if I need to.  (see photos: I have jacks deployed in these, but will rely on blocking entirely for working underneath).

I'm accumulating some confidence to perform the fluid changes myself after watching YouTube videos by master truck mechanic Don Smith (he monitizes by using Amsoil synthetic fluids).

Tim
2014 Mid-Bath
2014 Honda CRV toad

Reply #15
"I have have jacks deployed in these, but will rely on blocking entirely for working underneath)."

Being familiar with steep driveways I would be okay with your D-I-Y ramp arrangement! However, a set of chocks for the front tires would not be too much caution.   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #16
Nice. If you're changing fluids in the front part of the chassis, try backing into the driveway to give more clearance to the engine/ tranny.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #17

In addition to the list of maintenance items provided for Tim, the power steering fluid is another fluid I change every few years.
I check it often to see that it remains clear, not milky, an indication of moisture build-up.
The power steering pump provides pressurized hydraulic fluid for boosting the steering and brakes, neither of which will operate without the hydraulic pressure.
To further protect the delicate internal parts of the power steering box and the hydraulic brake booster, a specialized filter has been added to the brake booster's oil return line that removes both dirt and ferrous metal fragments with an enclosed magnet.
A similar filter is used for the transmission and is plumbed into the transmission's external cooler return line.

Power brake booster return line filter 1/2" Line
Amazon.com : Magnefine 1/2" Magnetic Inline Transmission Filter

Transmission inline filter 3/8" Line
Amazon.com: Magnefine 3/8" Magnetic Inline Transmission/Power Steering...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry