Skip to main content
Topic: Mobile Mechanic (Read 256 times) previous topic - next topic
Mobile Mechanic
My son's stationary TT water pump went out.   We need a mobile mechanic recommendation for South Bay, CA.
1998 MB in Sunnyvale CA

Re: Mobile Mechanic
Reply #1

It’s a fairly easy DIY project to replace the water pump. 

Here’s an Amazon link to a recommended water pump. 

Amazon.com: RV Water Pump Shurflo 4008-101-A65 3.0 GPM | 12V Water Pump |...

There’s many YouTube videos that show how to do.   A Mobile Mechanic may charge anywhere from $150 an hour and more. Plus the mechanic will charge more for the water pump than Amazon.

Finally, even I can do it and I’m all thumbs!   Hope this helps. 

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #2
It’s a fairly easy DIY project to replace the water pump. 

Here’s an Amazon link to a recommended water pump. 

Amazon.com: RV Water Pump Shurflo 4008-101-A65 3.0 GPM | 12V Water Pump |...

There’s many YouTube videos that show how to do it.   A Mobile Mechanic may charge anywhere from $150 an hour and more. Plus the mechanic will charge more for the water pump than Amazon.

Finally, even I can do it and I’m all thumbs!   Hope this helps. 

So they are universal pumps?  When we got out LD it came with an unused box pump.  I put the pump in storage.  That is why I asked.
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
1998 MB in Sunnyvale CA

Reply #3
No, you would need to have him locate the pump and get make, model, and possibly serial #s to get an exact fit. Almost any of the pumps will work, but may require reworking the area to fit.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
To add to Steve's response, buy exactly the same water pump. Changing to a different pump can easily double or more the time needed to install the new pump. This is because pumps are mounted in various ways and the plumbing, hoses and electrical connections may need changing, all adding to the installation time. A different pump may require longer hoses and a different fuse.
It's best to stay with the same manufacturer and model pump unless there is a good reason to change.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
To add to Steve's response, buy exactly the same water pump. Changing to a different pump can easily double or more the time needed to install the new pump. This is because pumps are mounted in various ways and the plumbing, hoses and electrical connections may need changing, all adding to the installation time. A different pump may require longer hoses and a different fuse.
It's best to stay with the same manufacturer and model pump unless there is a good reason to change.

Larry

We just looked in the TT and found it.  I snapped a photo and will be ordering the exact same one from Amazon.  Yes, it is 71.00 before tax.  Thanks for the advice.  That save us some money!
1998 MB in Sunnyvale CA

Reply #6
While you are at it, consider buying two, one as a spare. They seem to be a wear item, so you can be prepared for a failure deep in the boondocks.
2013 27’ Mid-Bath
2005 Honda CR-V

Reply #7
THANKS for all the comments!  We just had a successful DIY pump install. 
1998 MB in Sunnyvale CA