Skip to main content
Topic: Latch (Read 350 times) previous topic - next topic
Latch
This is big!!!

Got tired of holding up the exterior frig door with my head. Installed a latch like the other compartments use. (told you it was big!)
jor

09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Re: Latch
Reply #1
I'm surprised the Factory didn't include a refrigerator door latch as standard equipment. Nice upgrade.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
I asked the last Newton (I forget his name) about that and he said the door was too flimsy.  He said it would get twisted if they used the stay-up latch. 

I guess he saw too many people grab the door and try to pull it closed before releasing the latch.
Linda B
Green 2021 RB
2022 Ford Maverick toad

Reply #3
That door is flimsy, no question. But it seems to me that any reasonable person would be able to handle it without warping it like a potato chip... and if bent, it's easily bent back into shape.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
I've always used these same latches inside the coach to keep and hold several keys!  Very easy and handy.
Kristin
1997 MB

Reply #5
Good idea, Kristin, and you reminded me--I used one of those latches inside my first Lazy Daze (mounted upside down) as a clothes hook. It's so convenient, because when not in use it folds flat, so you don't have a hook sticking out into your living space.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6

These below are stainless steel instead of plastic. I replaced my  original broken LD ones with them. They seem sturdy, but you will have to drill one hole as the pattern is different from OEM
5 Pack RV Stainless Steel Baggage Door Catch Square - Holds RV Baggage...

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
I try not to break the rules but merely test their elasticity.  '88 22RL converted to Rear Dinette

Reply #7

I replaced all of mine with these: Latch

I really like the idea Kristin and Andy came up with of using these latches instead of hooks. I'm going to order a few more.
jor

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #8
JOR, I've often thought about the exact same thing. What did you use to permanently seal the holes?

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #9
permanently seal the holes?

I always use Dicor. Took off the batwing and sat dish. Filled the holes with Dicor. I've used it for years with never a leak. It's nasty to work with but cleans up easily with mineral spirits before it begins to set.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester