Skip to main content
Topic: Am I missing a gasket? (Read 359 times) previous topic - next topic
Am I missing a gasket?
I went to get propane filled and it leaked so they wouldn't do it. My assumption is I'm missing a gasket here?

Would an RV shop have these?

2021 Mid Bath

Re: Am I missing a gasket?
Reply #1
Hi Ted;  Yes you are missing a rubber gasket. Often the gasket sticks to the fill valve assembly.  I was getting propane at a place I often went to near my house, and the filling person had a few extra laying around (I wonder how he collected all of them?!)  He gave me one of those. Now I check afterwards for it's presence, each time I get a fill up.
   I'm guessing this is the gasket:  1 3/4" Propane Filler Valve Gasket 3-PACK - propanegear   I'd like to see some mention of appropriate use and an official description. It is about the size of the gasket on my tank.
     A Youtube  confirming that this gasket is just loosely sitting there:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGdhnPddvzM                         RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Hi Ted;  Yes you are missing a rubber gasket. Often the gasket sticks to the fill valve assembly.  I was getting propane at a place I often went to near my house, and the filling person had a few extra laying around (I wonder how he collected all of them?!)  He gave me one of those. Now I check for it's presence each time I get a fill up.
   I'm guessing this is the gasket:  1 3/4" Propane Filler Valve Gasket 3-PACK - propanegear   I'd like to see some mention of appropriate use and an official description. It is about the size of the gasket on my tank.
     A youtube  confirming this gasket:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGdhnPddvzM                         RonB

Thanks Ron.
I ordered this on Amazon but I'm looking local.
We leave Saturday so crunch time.

Marshall Excelsior MEW2 1-3/4" Acme Gasket Amazon.com: Marshall Excelsior MEW2 1-3/4" Acme Gasket : Automotive
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #3
If the valve leaks, it needs replacement. The yellow cap is for protecting the valve from dirt but is not made for sealing the tank.
A tank leaking in any manner is a serious safety risk and needs immediate attention.
There is no user-replaceable gasket or o-ring in the valve.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
If the valve leaks, it needs replacement. The yellow cap is for protecting the valve from dirt but is not made for sealing the tank.
A tank leaking in any manner is a serious safety risk and needs immediate attention.
There is no user-replaceable gasket or o-ring in the valve.

Larry
Hi Larry.

It only leaked when he turned the hose pressure on. The system itself is fine.
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Hi Larry.

It only leaked when he turned the hose pressure on. The system itself is fine.

Your valve could still be bad or the filling equipment is defective, either way, there should be no leakage from the valve when filling.
Valves do fail, I have replaced several over the years.
Leakage from the vent valve is normal during filling.

Larry
Larry

Reply #6
Your valve could still be bad or the filling equipment is defective, either way, there should be no leakage from the valve when filling.
Valves do fail, I have replaced several over the years.
Leakage from the vent valve is normal during filling.

Larry
Manchester Tank V13414 Propane Tank Fill Valve

Mine is missing that rubber gasket.

2021 Mid Bath

Reply #7
Ted,

It’s interesting that your rubber gasket has fallen out. You’ve probably already checked inside the yellow cap. It may be stuck in place there. I believe U-Haul carries such items.

As a precaution, I carry spares of some gaskets. Now I’ll have to double check for this particular one.

Here’s a pic of mine.

Kent
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #8
I bought a couple of extra gaskets on Amazon and keep them in a small ziplock bag and loosely tie wrapped next to the propane tank.  I haven’t lost one yet but better to be prepared if I do.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #9
I've had mine disappear twice!  Once in Mexico and once in Arizona... now I carry replacements. 
They are easy to remove with a ballpoint pen.  Very important to observe propane fillups!
Kristin
1997 MB

Reply #10
I was wrong about the gasket, never had one fall out. Another spare to carry.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
Tedeboy, my wife says I'm missing a gasket too.  Not sure what she means by that . . .?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #14
The gaskets don't fall out, the yellow plastic cap keeps them in place.  They do stick on the filling port fitting and an inattentive filling person may just have them fall out after filling your tank. I suspect the filler or gasket is damp and freezes onto the filling port fitting surface.  You won't know the gasket is missing until the next time you go to get a full tank.  Reputable places should at least have spares you can buy. Or include one with the propane if you need one to get a fill. Can't be worth more than 50 cents!  Like a hose gasket on your water hose.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #15

Ted,

While my gasket hasn’t disappeared, I did remove it to get a more accurate measurement of the needed part.

OD 34mm ID 24mm Thickness 3mm

Our LD has a Manchester Horizontal 17.6 gallon tank.

I ordered a set of 10 on Amazon uxcell Rubber Flat Washers 35mm OD 24mm ID 3mm Thickness for Faucet Pipe Water Hose, Pack of 10 uxcell Rubber Flat Washers 35mm OD 24mm ID 3mm Thickness for Faucet Pipe...

Hope this helps. Hope they fit.

Kent

Reply #16
Ted,

While my gasket hasn’t disappeared, I did remove it to get a more accurate measurement of the needed part.

OD 34mm ID 24mm Thickness 3mm

Our LD has a Manchester Horizontal 17.6 gallon tank.

I ordered a set of 10 on Amazon uxcell Rubber Flat Washers 35mm OD 24mm ID 3mm Thickness for Faucet Pipe Water Hose, Pack of 10 uxcell Rubber Flat Washers 35mm OD 24mm ID 3mm Thickness for Faucet Pipe...

Hope this helps. Hope they fit.

Kent

Good news.
I just filled with no issue using this one that just came today.

Marshall Excelsior MEW2 1-3/4" Acme Gasket Amazon.com: Marshall Excelsior MEW2 1-3/4" Acme Gasket : Automotive
2021 Mid Bath

Reply #17
I received my propane tank rubber gaskets and they are a perfect match.

Just an FYI.

Kent