Skip to main content
Topic: Patching up our LD (Read 197 times) previous topic - next topic
Patching up our LD
So we have an hair-raising, nail bitting few weeks….
Not 1 but 2 weeks in a row a large tree branch has broken off the tree in our back yard. The first one only left a few scratches on end cap of our LD. The second landed across the roof of LD and our garden shed and luckily only caused a 1”x1” puncher in roof top between the solar panel and air vent. Last weekend I gathered my supplies and went to work patching the hole. On Thursday our tree was trimmed way back to avoid any future problems 😊
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Re: Patching up our LD
Reply #1
😢 Please accept our condolences.  All I can say is … well I shouldn’t put it into print.  Nevertheless, that tree got what it deserves.

In the long term, you might consider attaching a small piece of aluminum with the usual sealant and stainless steel screws.  Then primer and paint it with Oxford white.  It might even look like a Factory repair.

Again, we’re sorry for your troubles. 

Reply #2
Tell us more about how you patched the hole. It looks like some kind of pad, covered with self-adhesive aluminum (maybe the aluminum flavor of Eternabond?).
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
I secured a small piece of aluminum over the hole then I applied the (I don’t remember the name) foil sticky stuff over the top further securing down the aluminum plate.
Daughter of the first Lazy Bones
Hitting the road on my own and with a friend 🚐 while reporting back to the Lazy Bones at home 🛋

2 Lazy Bones - Home

Reply #4
"Tell us more about how you patched the hole."

Original LB here... some additional details.

We 1st prepared an 8"X 8" square of some stock aluminum found in my workshop. However it was soon realized that was too generous and subsequently reduced to 4"X 4" to cover the 1" penetration.

Once the area was cleaned the hole was encircled with 3M 5200 Fast Seal (obtained in Oregon). Also the underside edges of the 'patch' was similarly covered, then pressed into place. Adequate time was allowed before the entire patch was covered with four strips of EternaBond. Made for a good looking but somewhat obvious repair!

All labor was performed by LB2 while LB watched from a nearby window!
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
This repair should be good for the duration, it’s double sealed.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
Thanks for the details. It sounds like a very good patch.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"