Skip to main content
Topic: Grey tank reconnection (Read 170 times) previous topic - next topic
Grey tank reconnection
Popped out my grey tank connection on a curb, while I’m bummed, I am also thankful nothing else worse happened.

I’ve reconnected and tightened the band up but I’m sure I haven’t seated it far enough, by visually seeing the fresh black portion sticking out.   I’ll clean it out the connection throughly and try to fully seat it soon.

Should I apply some kind of lubricant or compound to the pieces before resembling?
Dave

2017 TK

Re: Grey tank reconnection
Reply #1
Dave, if the connection “pooped out” and nothing is broken, then I’m guessing it wasn’t glued or permanently connected to the tank.   If the PVC pipe is inserted as far as it was before the incident as measured by dirt/grim and the band is tight and it doesn’t leak, I’d suggest you’re good.   I hope this helps. 

Reply #2

I would do as Ed suggested and them seal the gaps with E6000 or Goop. Both seal low pressure leaks well and can be disassembled without too much trouble

Amazon.com: E6000® 237039 Multipurpose Adhesive, Black, 2 oz : Arts, Crafts...

Amazon.com: Amazing GOOP 150011 Plumbing 3.7oz Adhesive : Industrial &...

Larry

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
I think I’ve got it resolved.

I concur with Ed, the lack of real damage like broken pipe suggests it was never glued/welded to start with.  From the looks of the pipe, it’s a compression fit.

Didn’t notice the second hose clamp earlier when attempting to reconnect in a hot dusty Jasper parking lot, but when taking everything apart again to make a more permanent fix, in the evening chill, I saw the second clamp, which explains why I never got the pipe all the way seated.

Loosened that clamp, cleaned up both sections of pipe inside and out, was able to fully seat the pipe and tightened the clamps.

My theory is Alaska ever so slightly loosened the clamps, not much as I couldn’t freely move either clamp, but enough that the pipe disconnected upon encountering the curb.   I’m left wondering if they weren’t slightly loose, would I have broken the pipe?

Did I just now overtighten those clamps?
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #4
Please let me know if my thinking is correct.

The LD factory did not permanently attach  the black pipe onto the gray tank on purpose. This opening allows access into the gray tank if an individual needs to “snake a clogged drain.”
Sam

Reply #5
Dave, glad to hear is was the gray tank and not the other one!  ;)   I'm thinking some duct tape might be handy in this situation.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #6
Dave, glad to hear is was the gray tank and not the other one!  ;)   I'm thinking some duct tape might be handy in this situation.
I was quite relived it was just the gray!

Can’t see duct tape working here, too dirty, maybe if it had broken, not disconnected.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #7
Dave, clear back to our old 1978 Tioga the connection was exactly the same. Couple of hose clamps and your good to go. I think they were all designed this way to have a weak link if you will. Glad it wasn't the black tank. If you ever need some kind of lubricant, I use Dawn dish soap, nice and slimy for a while and as soon as water hits it, it cleans everything up.

Jon
1994 MB