Skip to main content
Topic: Replace refrigerator (Read 236 times) previous topic - next topic
Replace refrigerator
2006 LD 26.5 TK.  Prev owner put in a dorm refrigerator.  I ordered/received Dometic to fit original cutout.  Approx 24"wide by 24"deep.  It isn't coming in through the door.   Choice is remove window or remove passenger seat.  I read window removal works, but frig is 120lb and that's a lot of lifting.   Has anybody tried removing passenger seat (or even laying the seat back?  

2001 26.5'  MidBath

Re: Replace refrigerator
Reply #1
Hi Mark;  The refrigerator will fit (carefully) through an opened window.  You don't need to remove the frame or anything else.  I'm not sure which window; a midbath owner will have to chime in here.  It will generally take two people.  I remember that previously people mentioned having heavy duty blankets laying on the window tracks to prevent damage to the thin aluminum tracks.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Open the midbath's dinette window--you don't need to remove it--and lay blankets or cardboard over the sill to protect it. The fridge will fit though. It's a two-person job.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
While the removal through the window method has always worked for me, it is a two person job. If working solo, removing the passenger seat isn’t difficult, just four Torx-head bolts and one electrical plug to remove. The seat is heavy too .
After removing the old refrigerator, it would be the time to add insulation to the  enclosure.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
MBIRNBAUM,

In case you haven't already found it, here is a thread that describes our experience:
Dometic Refrigerator Installation

Here is the specific message, including photo, of how we removed the dead fridge, and then moved the new fridge, through the dinette window:
Dometic Refrigerator Installation

Good luck.
Jim
Jim & Sue
Formerly owned: 2011 27' MB, Sidra