Skip to main content
Topic: Help with Propane Tank (Read 363 times) previous topic - next topic
Help with Propane Tank
We went to fill up the propane tank and the tank would not accept propane.   We tested the propane supply on another empty tank and their tank is working. 

My first guess is our propane tank gauge is bad since the supply immediately shuts off.   We’d be grateful for any guidance since I’d hate to cancel our pending trip next week. 

Can I replace the wired gauge with one without a wire? 

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help with Propane Tank
Reply #1

Hi guys,

I’ve been using the Mopeka sensor to more accurately measuring propane level in our LD tank.

Flawless, accurate and simple to install. Here’s a new Mopeka model than ours but it’s the same device. You can monitor the levels via your cell phone.

Mopeka Pro Check Sensor - Wireless Propane Tank Magnetic Sensor Level Indicator - Propane Gas Tank Pressure Gauge Electronic for BBQ Grill - Remote Ready Propane, Butane And Fuel Level Gauge With App Amazon.com: Mopeka Pro Check Sensor - Wireless Propane Tank Magnetic Sensor...

Once you’ve determined there is propane in the tank, you may be able to isolate other issues contributing to the restricted flow of fuel.

Best of luck.

Kent

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2015 27' RB "MissB.Haven"

Reply #2
Ridiculous!!   While I was standing next to the propane guy, i failed to notice that he didn’t open the overflow valve.   So back to the propane place and now we’re full!  Bottom line is I need to be more alert.  Deep Sigh 😔. 

Reply #3
"Flawless, accurate and simple to install."

I can see by the advertisement how it is mounted on an 'upright' tank but what about our horizontal LD tanks?   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
"I can see by the advertisement how it is mounted on an 'upright' tank but what about our horizontal LD tanks?"

I haven't done this myself (my Airstream has vertical DOT tanks), but based on the manufacturer's instructions and what I've seen in discussion threads, it's pretty much the same as for upright tanks: slap it on the bottom of the tank and let its magnets hold it on there. You can strap it in place with a cable tie(s) if you want to be really secure. A dab of petroleum jelly on the sensor makes for the best readings. (Mine came with tiny pouches of it, so you may not need to supply your own.) The smartphone app has settings for horizontal tanks of various capacities.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Hi guys,

I’ve been using the Mopeka sensor to more accurately measuring propane level in our LD tank.

Flawless, accurate and simple to install. Here’s a new Mopeka model than ours but it’s the same device. You can monitor the levels via your cell phone.

Mopeka Pro Check Sensor - Wireless Propane Tank Magnetic Sensor Level Indicator - Propane Gas Tank Pressure Gauge Electronic for BBQ Grill - Remote Ready Propane, Butane And Fuel Level Gauge With App Amazon.com: Mopeka Pro Check Sensor - Wireless Propane Tank Magnetic Sensor...

Thank you Kent.  Where on the propane tank have you installed this device and have you added anything else to hold it in place?
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.

Reply #6
Ed,

Our RB has a tank laying horizontally and I place it centered on the belly of the tank. It’s magnetic so it attaches easily although I do add a couple of strips of duct tape to prevent road bumps from jarring it loose (I add a piece of paper between the sensor and the tapes surface-batteries do need replacement occasionally and this helps make sliding the sensor out easier).

It is recommended that a tiny bit of dielectric  grease be placed on the magnets to increase conductivity of the sensor.

It’s a very reliable device. I’ve had ours on the rig since 2016 and it still works flawlessly.

Kent

Reply #7
"It is recommended that a tiny bit of dielectric  grease be placed on the magnets to increase conductivity of the sensor."

Small correction: you want the grease on the sensor, not on the magnets. Getting grease on the magnets just makes it more likely that the thing will slip around, which you don't want. (The sensor is the black rubbery disc between the magnets.)
Andy Baird

Reply #8
My SOB RV friend’s propane gauge is extremely inaccurate.   He asked for some guidance.  I did a cut and paste of the information in this post which he really appreciated.   So now Kent’s and Andy’s reputations have expanded into the heart of Texas.   He asked me to extend his appreciation to you.  So on his behalf, thank you.

Reply #9
I’ve been thinking about the remote gauge Kent suggested.   And I was wondering about removing and storing it while traveling which would certainly eliminate the possibility of the device falling off.  Then put it back on once the RV is parked.  Would that cause the monitor any problems?

Reply #10
"I was wondering about removing and storing it while traveling which would certainly eliminate the possibility of the device falling off.  Then put it back on once the RV is parked.  Would that cause the monitor any problems?"

No, but there really isn't any need to go to all that trouble. Just strap it on with cable ties. When it's necessary to change the battery (every year or two), cut the ties, then replace them when reinstalling the gauge.
Andy Baird

Reply #11
Ed,

Duct Tape it in place. It’ll stay put just fine. Leaving it in place will eliminate the likelihood of losing it in some “I’ll never forget where I put it” spot in a “well organized” home.

Here’s a pic of ours. Been there for years through all kinds of weather (snow, rain, rough roads…).

Kent

Reply #12
We use mopeka also, upright tank.  We got it about the time Kent got his (so quite a while ago).  It works well but you need the sensor in the middle of the curved area for upright tanks.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.