Skip to main content
Topic: Wire Routing (Read 228 times) previous topic - next topic
Wire Routing
I've got a Voyager rear view camera system which was installed at the factory. Voyager is pricey and of good quality. I have installed three of the same system in other rigs. Anyhow, it's mounted above the rear view mirror and I have a hard time seeing it while driving. Now it's got a glitch which causes it to go white after 20 minutes or so. The guys at RV Cams told me a bad ground will display these symptoms so I've been chasing wiring. Anyhow, I'm thinking about replacing the system with a rear view mirror system instead.

I can pretty easily route from the new rear view mirror to power at the fuse box but I am at a loss as to how to get the camera wiring up to the high spot on the back where the camera would be mounted. I'm thinkin' the easiest route from the fuse box area to the back would be under the rig (I could follow the same route that I used for my SeeLevel) but... here comes the question... how do i get that wire from down below up into the rear cap? Or is there a way to route it inside the rig? Looking at wireless too. Thanks.
jor

* Photo illustrates how the factory ran the wires right into the sidewall.
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Re: Wire Routing
Reply #1
Hi JOR;  I had a 2001 MB for about 3 months and ran some wiring.  That bundle running into the wall on the driver side probably runs down the front corner cap to under the motorhome or behind the driver seat.  I would run wiring inside, around the battery box, into the kitchen cabinet, behind the toilet, under the shower, into the storage compartment.
     In the storage compartment on the back wall where the license plate is, is the nexus for all of the back wall electrical connections. There is a removable panel in all of the MB and 'TK's (I'm assuming the factory put that access panel in all of those).  In the MB I was working on, I could see the light brown wire that powered the row of red marker lights going up the corner (maybe inside the corner) cap. (barely visible at top right of the picture).   Inside the upper storage compartment above the back window, you might be able to fish your camera cable.  The camera ends up below the center red marker light.
     Do you already have a camera there, with cable, or was the old camera you have an aftermarket install?
     I did run a multi wire (loom and cable) from under the hood to the back driverside corner, up into that wiring area. Then back down to the towing socket.     RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Do you already have a camera there, with cable, or was the old camera you have an aftermarket install?

Yes. LazyDaze installed a Voyager VCMS 155.

Thanks for the detailed description and photo, Ron. This gives me a starting point. I'm going to look for that access point. By the way, that's a nice tidy wiring job you got there!
jor

09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #3
Ron's description of a wire run is a good one, but it takes time to do cleanly. When folks balked at what the wiring would cost done the "right way", I would run the cable under the chassis, wrapped in a plastic loom, and zipped tied in place.
For the camera electrical access, I run the wire out the back of the rear overhead cabinet, using a marine thru-fitting for the cable.  A little 5200 FC is used to make sure thing never leaks, the marine fitting allows to the wire to be replaced if damaged.

Here is an 18 year old example on our 2003 LD that is still working fine

Backup camera & monitor | Flickr

Cable Clam thru-fitting in various sizes.
Search Products | West Marine

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Thanks, Larry. That's a nice clean install. I'll have to decide inside or outside for the wire run. I've done it both ways in other rigs but I was much more familiar with the layout and always had detailed schematics of the factory wiring. Anyhow, I'll get there with the LD. Just have to pay attention to what you guys recommend!
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #5
Hi JOR.  Those cables to the camera are likely industry standard,  This place has adaptor cables: Adaptor Cable for ASA Backup Camera Systems (Male - Female) - Our Products
 If it is just the display that you want to upgrade, you may be able to keep the wire run from the camera.
   Have you considered a dashcam model that can record front views?   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
Thanks for that reference, Ron. I decided to replace both the camera and monitor. It would be great to be able to use the Voyager wiring so I'll keep that ref bookmarked. I went ahead and bought a rear view mirror type which includes a 4K front view along with a rear view. It actually replaces the rear view mirror. I'll post on it. I hope to install it before we take off in a couple of weeks.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #7
OK. Progress. I figured out the LD factory wire route. Man, I hope I can do as Ron suggested and use the existing cable. Anyhow, on my 27' MB the voyager camera is routed as follows:

* From monitor, across the top of the windshield to the bunk area (under floor);
* From bunk area wires run down the driver side A pillar to power;
* From bunk area the camera cable runs down the A pillar, under the interior step and through the floor;
* Camera cable runs along the frame and goes up through the floor just aft of the back shower wall;
* Runs up that wall and toward the rear through the two cabinets (under cabinet floors);
* Across the back cabinet (under floor) and through the back wall up to the camera.

Whew!!!

When I do this install I'll take photos so this will make more sense then. Onward!
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester