Skip to main content
Topic: A Very Weird Design (Read 123 times) previous topic - next topic
A Very Weird Design
On a 2022 Newmar Baystar the kitchen sink has a very odd and unappealing system to drain. 

The water that drains from the sink is pumped via a sump pump into the gray tank. It is powered by the inverter.

Turned the inverter on and the sink flows into the gray tank. There is a pump under the kitchen sink that pushes the water to the gray tank and if the pump isn't running the water goes out the overflow and onto the ground.
I’m just shaking my head in disbelief.

Re: A Very Weird Design
Reply #1
In my 13 foot Trillium, a minimalistic $16,000 fiberglass trailer, the sink, as built, drained out onto the ground. You could attach a hose to the outside fitting, but that just meant it drained onto the ground a little further away. That kind of thing might be considered acceptable in a tiny rig that had no room for holding tanks. But as soon as I bought the trailer, I plumbed a 3.5 gallon water carrier under the sink, so that I had a removable "gray tank" that could be emptied at a dump station.

But a 36-foot, $260,000+ class A motorhome dumping gray water overboard? Unbelievable. 😖
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"