Skip to main content
Topic: Hott Rod vs. Camco (or other options) (Read 203 times) previous topic - next topic
Hott Rod vs. Camco (or other options)
With pricing still being all over the place for a lot of things, I'm trying to understand if there are meaningful differences between some of the competing products out there.
We want to add the ability to heat the tank with electricity since we're currently full-time in an RV park that includes electricity, and don't want to have to drive off to fill our propane tank on a regular basis.

So far I'm seeing the "Hott Rod" (6-gallon, so DGR6VP, or possibly HR6, previously Diamond Group but looks like it's owned by Valterra now) and a Camco equivalent (11673)
I'd love to get the 10-gallon version since it would heat even faster, and I've seem some people say it'll fit in our 6-gallon tank, but let's say I'm just going to go for the 6-gallon one.
I know it'll draw 400W unpredictably, so at some point we'll probably put in a switch, which seems to be included in the Camco package,  Initially we might just run an extension from the 15A outlet on the park's power post, and bypass our internal electrical system entirely.

Are the two brands' products basically interchangeable?  Do people say "Hott Rod" like "Kleenex" at this point?  If not, what should I be considering?  Are there other alternatives?  Any reason not to shop purely based on price for something like this?
Skylarking!
2003 Mid Bath

Re: Hott Rod vs. Camco (or other options)
Reply #1
" Initially we might just run an extension from the 15A outlet on the park's power post, and bypass our internal electrical system entirely."

A very simple and temporary solution, at least until you determine if it's going to work for you. If you have hookups what's to lose?

I've known and heard of folks using the Hott Rod, with the only caveat being warranty issues. Personally the consumption of LP is miniscule when heating water as opposed to heating the coach.   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
I've been happy with the Camco Hybrid heat system.  A bit of work to install, but works good.  On my mid-bath, I installed a electrical box in the wiring that runs to the external plug in.  That circuit is GFCI protected too.
Doesn't draw much power, 425 watts, so it's a bit slow to heat up and recover from a shower, etc.
It does make draining of the water heater a little more fussy, but worth it in my opinion.
Hot Water Hybrid Heat
2016 Mid Bath

Reply #3
We had the Hot Rod in our 1994 MB and the 2006 RB.  Worked great!   The only thing to remember is to clean it up periodically.  You will know 'when' - the hot water heater will start making noise, sounding like a tea kettle. 
We found the Hot Rod to be quite efficient.   And, yes, we had the switch (red light).  

Best of luck,
Juli W
Juli W.
Former owner 1994 mid bath,  2006 26.5'rear bath

Reply #4
For long term stays at an RV park,  a Hot Rod may be useful but don’t expect big savings. As  Lazy Bones pointed out, the water heater’s propane usage is minimal unless the heater is left on all the time.
For long term stays consider having a large external tank delivered from the local propane supplier.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
So Larry, Steve, Jason and those with LiF batteries:  It bothers me that at 8 or 9 in the morning my batteries shut off, fully charged, and the solar is uh, lets say 'wasted'.  Have you been tempted to get a 12v water heater rod, or a 110v ac heater rod to heat your water with surplus solar. Straight from the solar or via the inverter.
   I know some overpowered rigs that use toaster ovens, air fryers, crock pots, and yes small box heaters for space heating all using the excess solar that otherwise just sits there unappreciated.   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB