Skip to main content
Topic: Black Tank Waste Valve (Read 542 times) previous topic - next topic
Black Tank Waste Valve
So...the handle broke on my black tank valve (see photo, disregard the left-most circle in red ink [a different problem]). I suppose this means replacing the entire valve. Not too difficult? Pro-tips?

All Thumbs
Sean
2001 26' Mid Bath

Re: Black Tank Waste Valve
Reply #1
Looks like the plastic handle broke. Does the rod move or is the whole thing frozen? The handle screws on to the rod, so you might be able to unscrew it and put a replacement on, or at least move the rod with vise grip pliers.
Replacement is straightforward.... if the tank is empty.   Be sure and get the correct size before starting.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #3
The handles unscrew and are replaceable.
Do lube the valve rod to prevent a recurrence.

Anacortes, Wa
Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
The handles unscrew and are replaceable.
Do lube the valve rod to prevent a recurrence.

Anacortes, Wa
Larry

Larry - what have you found to be the best lube that won't attract dirt?

Thanks,

Bill
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #5

Thanks everyone. Unsure how to tell what the correct size is.

I know it is 3". But what kind of fitting? E.g. I found one that looks like mine here. And the one Charles gave a link for is here--But it looks pretty different. Thoughts?

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Sean
2001 26' Mid Bath

Reply #6

I just placed mine last week as it was leaking in the campground. Amazon delivered it to me at the campground. The one i bought was without the cap  as it connects between two pipes. Amazon does sell a Velterra one with the cap.

Link : Amazon.com: Valterra 3" RV Waste Dump Gate Valve w/Cap (1) : Automotive

Hope this helps

Kevin

Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ
Owner of 2000 26.5 RK, came back to the family
Previously 2014 Newmar Baystar
Previously 2001 LD 26.5 MB

Reply #7
I use this method to lube the valves with a spray lithium grease. Almost any spray lube will work.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TGv9THpOdmw

The valves can be totally disassembled for cleaning and lubing.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8

Most RV stores I've visited carry the metal handle as a separate part. If you have a reason to feel the valve needs replacing, go ahead... but if it's just the cheesy plastic handle (yes, I've broken a couple), just unscrew the remaining plastic parts and put on a metal handle.

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Did that myself on our old 99 MB a few years back. Just unscrewed the old plastic handle and screwed on the new metal one. Now I travel with a spare.

George & Jo Ann
2017 MB
George & Jo Ann
2017 MB

Reply #10
As Larry mentioned, disassembling, cleaning (including a vinegar soak to remove calcium deposits) and lubricating friction parts keeps the valve sliding smoothly. Replacing the handle is a bandaid and replacing the entire valve would not be necessary with annual maintenance.

Warren
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #11
As Larry mentioned, disassembling, cleaning (including a vinegar soak to remove calcium deposits) and lubricating friction parts keeps the valve sliding smoothly. Replacing the handle is a bandaid and replacing the entire valve would not be necessary with annual maintenance.
Only replaced one waste valve so far, and that was on a 15 year old Class C. Current Class C is 18 years, no replacement yet. But, as long as they lasted, say, 5 years, I'd rather replace it than mess with "disassembling, cleaning (including a vinegar soak to remove calcium deposits) and lubricating friction parts keeps the valve sliding smoothly" every year. They are cheap at 20-30 bucks.
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #12
love the forum .... and hope this electronic database will last for years to come.

grey tank handle was slowly breaking during the last year and during the last trip it was totally gone, i was worried it will be a big job, did not know how it was attached or what part it was and was mentally ready for the worst case senario of changing the entire assembly. as soon as i came back, searched the forum and found the information and got the link for metal handle. ordered and it was not even five minute job.

came back to thank Greg who posted the link and and found another discussion.

thanks to the folks who share the information and knowledge and devote the time for dumbos like me. hope some day i will be able to repay somehow ...

regards,

Reply #13
thanks to the folks who share the information and knowledge and devote the time for dumbos less experienced like me. hope some day i will be able
;)
joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #14
Larry - what have you found to be the best lube that won't attract dirt?

Thanks,

Bill

The LD manual actually recommends Vaseline. I’ve used it without issue although I think I’ll upgrade to the metal handles!
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #15
I carry a can of silicone spray in the devoted dump tank storage area.   While waiting for the 'dump' stuff to go down the 'drain' I do a bit of exercise on the valve handles and apply a spray or two to keep them well lubed.  

Have no plans to entertain folks at the dump station with a blowout.......

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #16
Like Glen, I carry a can of spray lube. The sliding shaft, and when dumped, the rubber o-rings and sliding metal plate (gate valve) get a spray, most times when (after rinsing) dumping.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB