Skip to main content
Topic: Rear tow hitch set up w/ dual hitch mount  (Read 494 times) previous topic - next topic
Rear tow hitch set up w/ dual hitch mount
Hi all,

Just wanted to get some opinions (I’m opening myself up to a can of worms probably ha) on this proposed set up on my rear factory hitch. It typically just has a bike rack on it but I have installed a dual hitch to add a cargo basket. The tongue weight is 350lbs and I sent the attached photos to Todd with my proposed weight and he advised that he saw no issue with my set up. I will be installing anti rattle stabilizers at each hitch point.

Dual hitch mount - 30lbs
Cargo carrier - 55lbs
Bike Rack - 40lbs
Road Bikes - 45lbs (two carbon fiber bikes and one aluminum)
Small generator (my Onan is finicky on occasion) 95lbs

Total tongue weight - 265lbs

I inspected the bolts and will retightening them attaching to the bumper frame and mount points under the rig. I had read of some installing “grade 8” bolts which I would consider but I’m not sure what size I would need and where to procure them. The factory hitch is in good condition. The carrier will only hold the 95lbs generator. My factory generator is working well but we will again be embarking to Iowa for RAGBRAI and I want to ensure reliable generator use for my wife and three kids while we are on the road for two weeks. Gotta have AC!

Anyone done a set up like this and provide any concerns…
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Re: Rear tow hitch set up w/ dual hitch mount
Reply #1
My two cents' worth: that setup may be OK if you only consider static weights. But it puts a heavy weight on a long lever arm, and that doesn't seem like a good idea as you bounce down the road. In addition, if you put anything besides that generator in the center of the cargo basket--I know you said you wouldn't, but the temptation will be strong to fill in some of that unused space--there will be a substantial dynamic torque load on the hitch receiver.

Personally, I wouldn't do this.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
I would also have concerns.  Weight put on back of the tires is like adding 10x that same weight at the back tires - because as Andy says it is cantilevered out.

I wonder if you could get a mechanical or civil engineering friend to do some calculations for you. 
Those professions charge very expensive hourly rates and while working with them I have found ones that have no clue what they are doing so their calculations were worthless (which I could tell but someone not knowing what should be done would miss), so maybe a trusted friend?
Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #3
Two thoughts. That rack sticks out pretty far and isn’t too high. Be prepared for some serious scraping when entering driveways, etc.   second, that amount of weight is a lot for the factory bumper-mounted hitch. When we carried our Vespa (344 lbs), we had a custom rack made with two square tube extensions, welded to the frame, to carry the load, bypassing the factory hitch altogether. This worked well for ten years. The rack was elevated high enough and extended somewhat less than your setup. Still, we had some minor scraping in extreme situations. I’d give your setup a good workout close to home to see how it goes. Good luck. — Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #4
will the bike(s) hit the generator once loaded? 

2003 MB

Reply #5

Hi as Andy (and Jane) said; I wouldn't do this either.  Too long a moment arm puts a tremendous stress on the bumper. Better would be two extensions from the frame with two receivers. The generator as close as possible to the bumper.  I would expect you will drag going through some dips and driveways.  I have a drag wheel welded on my receiver.  I don't know how stiff your rear spring pack is, or how close to GVWR you are. 
   The good news is you probably won't have that generator to carry around very long. It's like trolling bait to some, and the odds are it would be stolen.   Trust in the built in generator, it is amidships for weight distribution for a reason. I'm not sure what 'finnicky' means to you; have you had problems with it?
    Grade 8 bolts are available many places. The washers are thicker, a stronger steel alloy. The yellow coating is dichromate over zinc.  Amazon.com: Hard-to-Find Fastener 014973254018 Grade 8 Coarse Hex Cap...   (Fine thread is better)  Big box stores, Ace hardware, automotive stores.  Anybody towing should use these.  I found my hitch receiver and bumper attachment to the frame (circa 1999) to be very deficient.   So I reworked that at Hitch capability (split from 2021 Models and Pricing  reply #7
   Better safe than sorry.  This is the way.    RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
Since you already own the gear, load it up and take it for test spin around the neighborhood. Find a service station driveway with deep gutters and see what happens.
Better to find out now than down the road a few days.

A small trailer may be a better choice .
Take Ron’s advice on guarding the portable generator growing feet…they are irresistible to thieves.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
When I decided to carry a small motorcycle on the back of my LD, I also decided to have a hitch and rack made to order.
I used 2 additional receivers and had the shop make the rack to fit.
It carries my 280 lb. bike no problem, been back there 15 years now.
It's rock solid and does not wobble at all. I also had the guy try and keep the whole thing closer to the RV.
Jota
96 23.5 FL

Reply #8
Hi all,

Thank you for the input as it is a big help to determine if this set up would potentially work and be safe.

Regarding height and clearance, the carrier has 15” of clearance loaded so unless I’m going up a fairly steep grade, there should be no issues of it scraping the ground. My initial pictures may be a bit deceiving implying it was lower to the ground.

It sticks out equally as far as the bike rack and if I should use the set up, would install skinny orange marker poles on either end even though the bike Rick is clearly in the line of site.

Per Larry’s advice, I’m going to take a smaller trip to see how it acts and how much bounce/strain the arm has. Todd Miller felt I was well within tongue weight spec to be safe with the set up and the cargo carrier arm/carrier is rated for 500lb tongue weight.

Regarding theft, the generator will be ratcheted down obviously but I will also be in Midwest Iowa surrounded by hundreds of fellow RVers and expensive bikes. RAGBRAI is a bike event where you ride the entire state over 7 days, about 500 miles this year. People leave their expensive bikes leaned up against their tents, RVs, or wherever they are set up each night. It wouldn’t be easy to steal and it’s hopefully a real non issue during the event. An expensive bike would be much easier to steal and the 20,000+ riders typically do not have issues with theft.

I still may want to look into installing upgraded grade 8 bolts for a tad extra piece of mind. Again, I’m not committed to this set up hence why I asked opinions. A couple of further pics attached to give an idea of the set up.
Joe B.

Reply #9
With bike and generator.
Joe B.

Reply #10

I still may want to look into installing upgraded grade 8 bolts for a tad extra piece of mind. Again, I’m not committed to this set up hence why I asked opinions. A couple of further pics attached to give an idea of the set up.
Receiver hardware upgrade
Hitch receiver upgrade | Flickr
Bumper hardware upgrade
Rear bumper mounting repair | Flickr

Larry
Larry

Reply #11
Force= Mass x Acceleration
The longer your arms the more whip or acceleration which increases force on the receiver.  The anti-rattle devices may help some.  I like using them too.  The key is the amount of sway which will effect the acceleration.  Performing a diverse drive test will give you insight on it. 

If ur generator is problematic why not take it out and replace it with the generator you want to mount on the back?  You may be able to mount/lock it so you could easily remove it.  I hated running a generator and always feared the fumes may hurt us or someone else.  With yours mounted in there one could remove it and have it a safe distance away from the RV when running.  No need for extended exhaust.  They can be heavy so a sliding tray and possibly a ramp to roll it out/i could be designed.

Ron S
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #12
A few thoughts.

If you're going to get the built-in generator fixed eventually, why not do it now?  Folks in the RV will find it WAY more convenient than carrying fuel and running a cord while you're out riding. 

If you stick with the proposed setup, consider moving as much weight as possible (the generator and maybe the platform) inside the RV for the majority of the trip (ie, to and from IA).  Use the platform for low speed short distance driving. 

I bet there are a few people in IA who can fix generators in their sleep, with their eyes closed. 

Rich

2003 MB

Reply #13
A few thoughts.

If you're going to get the built-in generator fixed eventually, why not do it now?  Folks in the RV will find it WAY more convenient than carrying fuel and running a cord while you're out riding. 

If you stick with the proposed setup, consider moving as much weight as possible (the generator and maybe the platform) inside the RV for the majority of the trip (ie, to and from IA).  Use the platform for low speed short distance driving. 

I bet there are a few people in IA who can fix generators in their sleep, with their eyes closed. 

Rich

I’ve done quite of bit of work to it over the last three years. Replaced the carb with an OEM one, replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, air filters and obviously oil changes. The gen works 80% of the time just fine and I run it monthly. For instance yesterday it decided it didn’t want to stay running. After about six starts it slowly started to get back to a normal rpm. Like most of the Onan 4000s they are finicky and taking it to an ONAN dealer and spending $1000 without a guarantee of a fix isn’t ideal to me. If I really need to I will but the other gen was the back up plan.
Joe B.

Reply #14
With bike and generator.

Nice rig to ride...and nice ride you have planned.....did LOTOJA a number of years ago...what an experience...good luck and have fun!!
2013 31' Silver Twin Bed
Semi-retired 6/21....

Reply #15
Nice rig to ride...and nice ride you have planned.....did LOTOJA a number of years ago...what an experience...good luck and have fun!!

Thanks! This will be my third RAGBRAI. Looks like I’m in for a world of pain as this years route is a LOT of elevation and 500 miles over the period of a week. To be fair, my wife driving around the LD and navigating the massive sea of RVs and people with our three boys in tow is probably the tougher gig!😜
Joe B.

Reply #16
Thanks! This will be my third RAGBRAI. Looks like I’m in for a world of pain as this years route is a LOT of elevation and 500 miles over the period of a week. To be fair, my wife driving around the LD and navigating the massive sea of RVs and people with our three boys in tow is probably the tougher gig!😜

Really cool that you get to do this, Joe. Sounds like a fun thing to participate in (a challenge too) and a fun thing for the family to be around too!

Jason
Jason

2003 Rear Bath
"Razor Crest"
Our first RV, purchased from the original owner 01/2022

Reply #17
I wanted to add my custom bike rack and table.  I have loaded it with three bikes, a box for sewer hoses, small Weber and a box of toys.  I can add more photos if necessary.  The fabricator used very strong steel as the base, he told me that rack would snap bumper off before it would crack. 
1994 Twin King

Reply #18
I wanted to add my custom bike rack and table.  I have loaded it with three bikes, a box for sewer hoses, small Weber and a box of toys.  I can add more photos if necessary.  The fabricator used very strong steel as the base, he told me that rack would snap bumper off before it would crack. 

Wow that is impressive!

The Onan seems to be running smooth as of late (just cursed myself) and my oldest son has bought himself a fancy Segway electric kick scooter (40 miles of range!) so I am foregoing the “backup” generator and will instead use the carrier for the scooter and possibly a cooler. A much lighter load with the bike rack, and my two bikes still installed so the same set up with a lighter load. 

I did do about a 10 mile test run with the generator ratchet strapped down and two bikes installed and it was genuinely stable with minimal bounce. I installed grade 8 bolts to the underside of the hitch for added durability.

I figure though I will be stressed enough trying to trek myself 500 miles across Iowa on a bicycle so knowing a bit less load is on the rear hitch will lighten the worry.
Joe B.

Reply #19
Have you considered a front-mount rack? As pointed out previously, there is usually too much weight already behind the rear axle. Transferring some forward may work for you..just keep the rack loaded with stuff that wont disrupt airflow to the radiator.
I try not to break the rules but merely test their elasticity.  '88 22RL converted to Rear Dinette

Reply #20
Have you considered a front-mount rack? As pointed out previously, there is usually too much weight already behind the rear axle. Transferring some forward may work for you..just keep the rack loaded with stuff that won't disrupt airflow to the radiator.

Before adding any weight to the front axle, the rig should be weighted first to see how much additional CCC the front axle has available. The hitch itself adds weight too.
A low-lying tray may not be visible from the driver's seat, making it very easy to forget and drive it into something, it's probably better to have the tray on the rear where it isn't as likely to hit.

Larry
Larry

Reply #21
Just a quick update. Just got back from Ragbrai and my set up worked flawlessly over 2000 miles roundtrip including some gravel roads. The front frame is more than adequate to handle a front receiver and bike rack. Our LD didn’t skip a beat. On the backside, we ended up not bringing a spare generator but instead two Segway electric scooters that our boys ride. Similar in weight but easier to distribute the weight across the carrier. Ended up going to Cummins and they found our original fuel pump to be faulty. Put about 100 hours on the generator over the week and it ran flawlessly until the last night. Now it will only start if you hold down the start switch. As soon as you release it the generator dies. So frustrating.

As for Ragbrai, 504 miles is not for the faint of heart. This was my third year doing it. May take off a couple years. The heat and hills of Iowa (almost 20,000 feet of climb!) really pushed my limits.
Joe B.