Skip to main content
Topic: Oil change indicator (Read 125 times) previous topic - next topic
Oil change indicator
How does the engine sensor detect when an oil change is due? I have driven @ 500 miles since my last oil change and yesterday an instruction appeared on my dash saying that I needed an oil change. My last change was on 10/30/22. I did reset after changing the oil at that time.
Dale from Downey.
Dale from Downey 27’ 2012 RB,”Casa Verde”, 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Formerly1991 RB & 1990 Jeep Wrangler.

Re: Oil change indicator
Reply #1
Hi Dale;  I don't know, but I suspect that it counts miles from the last time you changed it.  Older dumber systems just had it show up caused by increments measured by odometer.  So you would just have it appear at say 5000 mile increments regardless of when the actual oil change was done.  I found one Youtube in a 2014 250 truck, where the oil change could be set to appear at 70, 80, or 90% of oil life, (early), to give you advance warning that an oil change was going to become pending.  Maybe somehow your system was set to 'early', and it is just telling you 'way too far in advance' of an impending need.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Oil change indicator
Reply #2
Hi

Could be the settings may have been incorrectly set after the oil change.

Easy solution - I think you can just reset it:  If you are changing every 3,000 miles - set the oil percentage at 80% until the next oil change.

Cheers!

Tony R (aka codefour)

Tony R
2010 LD RB - Sold to another happy LD Family