Skip to main content
Topic: Full timers insurance (Read 230 times) previous topic - next topic
Full timers insurance
I’m switching from part time to full time RVing and thinking of going to Progressive. I’ve searched the archives and couldn’t find current info. Does anyone have experience with them. Is there a better insurance company for full timers?
I’d really appreciate input.

Karen

Re: Full timers insurance
Reply #1
Been with Progtessive for many years, great rates, no problems, then again, hard to rate an insurance company  until you

file a  CLAIM

Bob Wilson
2007 31 IB

Reply #2
“Until you file a claim”.
 The Progressive agent told me they use J.D. Powers for replacement value. A 2005 RB would be valued at about $18,000.  Does everyone use Progressive? Are there better options? I know there were discussions in the past about proving the true value of a Lazy Daze but it was many years ago.

I haven’t posted in a long time but I’ve been a member for over 20 years. I know how helpful you can all be.

Karen aka oldjerseylady
Past owner of Ladybug ‘89 TK
Present owner of Dorrie Anne, a near perfect ‘05 RB

Reply #3
Insurance is regulated at the state level, so you'll need to see what's available for fulltimer's insurance in your domicile state.  You might find there are few options to choose from...

Highly recommend Ron Jarvie at Motorhome Insurance Agencies | Overland Insurance Services for RV insurance.  Overland is an independent agent licensed to write in most states.  Ron really knows his stuff.

Reply #4
Eureka! The link to Overland is exactly what I need. Thanks, Michelle and Bob,  for the help😁

Karen

Reply #5
I will say that we did have a fairly large claim with Progressive on a diesel pusher 13 years ago.  Very pleased with the handling of the claim and other than resetting the disappearing deductible, our policy cost wasn't impacted.  That said, it's definitely adjuster-dependent, and the adjuster we had was very familiar with the RV make and the shops doing the work.

As for Overland, Ron advised us on a previous policy (through a different RV insurance agent) for a policy tweak (we were shopping policy renewal at the time, and he was not able to find a better option but still offered suggestions on our existing one).  For our current RV, we switched to him as agent. This year, he proactively suggested a change at renewal that reduced our premiums a fair amount (25%) without altering net benefit in the event of a loss.  We get no benefit from suggesting/recommending them, we're just very pleased with the customer service.

Michelle

Reply #6
For what it's worth, when my Lazy Daze was struck by lightning, Progressive treated me very well. They sent out an adjuster right away, the damage was assessed fairly, and they paid promptly. They paid to have the rig towed 106 miles to the nearest Ford dealer who could work on it. (This was the only time that Coach-Net ever let me down: their policy covers mechanical breakdowns, but not accidents--and lightning is an accident.) Progressive even paid me at RV mechanic rates for my labor in making the repairs that I did on my own! That was a surprise.

This was thirteen years ago, so things may have changed. But at least back then, I was more than satisfied with the way Progressive handled my claim.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #7
Thanks, Andy. I had forgotten about the lightening strike. 

Karen

Reply #8
It's good to see you back here, Karen. And congratulations on buying Judie's Rear Bath! It should be a good full-timing rig.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Thanks again. This is a new world for me. Solitude is good and bad but above al else, strange territory.
Karen

Reply #10
Thanks for the help. I decided to go with  Progressive.

Karen

Reply #11
I have heard a lot of pros and cons about progressive - the FB full timer group regularly does discussions as does Irvine.com.  In the full timers rv FB group there is a big chat going on currently as Progressive apparently is dropping customers at renewal time to re-sign them up at much higher prices.  One bad agent didn’t even let their customers know they had canceled their policies and it was months before the person found out they had no insurance.
Also rates vary a lot depending what agent you go thru.

Karen one helpful thing is to get an independent appraiser (specialized in valuing older RVs) to value your LD - they look at sales prices, not just NADA, and take your pictures and receipts for upkeep/improvements to appropriately show value.
Most insurance companies will consider (official words) a higher value based on this - they tell you the value they will cover when the offer the insurance to you.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #12
Good info! Thanks.