Skip to main content
Topic: Interior/bath wall construction question (Read 288 times) previous topic - next topic
Interior/bath wall construction question
I want to mount a couple coat hooks to an interior wall in our Twin King 24.

In between the paneling-like wall (the blue tape is attached to) and the fiberglass shower on the other side, there appears to be about 3/4" of space.  Using a stud finder I found what appears to be solid wood backing that runs vertically (floor to ceiling) where the blue tape is in the attached picture. 

My plan is to mount the coat hooks to a piece of wood, then screw that wood to the wall where the blue tape is in the picture.

Can anyone tell me whether there are indeed wood studs/stringers/blocking (whatever you want to call it) running vertically between the wall board and the fiberglass shower on the other side?  Also, any wiring/plumbing running in that area?

Thanks for any assistance.

Alan

A 2021, Twin King 24'

Re: Interior/bath wall construction question
Reply #1
Best thing is to take out your kitchen drawers and you can look up that wall some.
In general you are right - wood framing in that wall - I forget exact where and direction though.

We have an older TK - ours only has plumbing in that wall and it is easy to trace that to avoid it.
We use command hooks a lot - they hold up well, no screws needed, and easy to move when you want to change things.

Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #2
I used to be pretty casual about putting screws into my Lazy Daze's walls--with or without studs behind them--and I never had a problem. But I've been hanging my jackets on large Command hooks for years now. I'd try that before I'd make holes in the walls.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
I think you'll really want a pantry in that space, the depth is perfect for canned goods etc.

Steve
2015 TK

Reply #4
A pantry cupboard is definitely worth thinking about. Coats can go almost anywhere, but that location is ideal for a pantry cupboard, and there's no really other place to put one in a twin/king. It's not hard to build, either. You can find plans on this page.
Andy Baird

Reply #5
Going with the Command hooks.  Thanks!
A 2021, Twin King 24'

Reply #6
That space is too precious in a TK for coats.

Here’s the pantry I built last summer on the road:

Yet another TK pantry build

Since that post, added a leftover piece of steel attached with a magnet, for use as a door pull (the magnets I used are super strong) and as a coat hanger.   So you can have both a pantry and coat hanger.

Dave

2017 TK

Reply #7
I like Dave's concept: build the pantry cupboard and then hang your coats on its door. It's only four inches deep, so  even with a coat hanging on it, it won't obstruct the passageway.
Andy Baird

Reply #8
Went all last summer and two weeks this year not thinking about hanging a coat there, when my wife joined me, she suggested hanging a coat there. Doh - didn’t occur to me at all.   I’ll add another next hardware stop.

I do lose a third of the rear view mirror when when a coat is hanging while driving.

Personally don’t mind as I use the side mirrors more and if I really want a view behind, the rear camera gives me more detail.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #10
Similar subject, different question.

LD put a clock in the perfect place for hanging a paper towel holder.

I'd like to remove the clock, then screw in a paper towel holder under the cupboard.  There is a gap of about 1" between the bottom of the cupboard and the interior "floor" of the cupboard, which appear hollow.  Both surfaces appear to be made of about 3/16" plywood.

Anyone know whether there are any wires in there?
A 2021, Twin King 24'

Reply #11

You could use over the door hooks and move them where you want them?

Karen~Liam
       98 ~ MB
         NinA

Amazon.com: 1st Choice Pack of 2 Over-The-Door Hook, White, W, 2 Count :...

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags