Skip to main content
Topic: Engine Clatter (Read 188 times) previous topic - next topic
Engine Clatter
While on our way back from Montana de Oro, I noticed a clatter noise coming from the engine area.  Seemed to be coming from the passenger side. Oddly, we were towing at the time and, after disconnecting the toad in town before heading up our mountain, the clatter seemed to disappear.  Power was normal and no engine codes were noted on the dash at any time.  Any idea what it could be or what I should check?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Engine Clatter
Reply #1
On our 94 460 engine , it has an air pump on the passenger side of the engine up front. I know they will make some noise at times. How's the cerpantine belt they also make noise.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #2
On my 2003 Mid-Bath I had a noise coming from the right side of the engine. From the sound I thought that it was due to a transmission issue. However, the root cause was eventually identified as a loose heat shield.

Hopes this helps identify the cause of your clatter.
David
RV: 2002 MB
Toad: 2014 CR-V

Reply #3
It might be your timing tensioner
Ross Taylor
2017 MB

Reply #4
Greg, whoever installed your towing package, I would ask if anything was located in that part of the engine compartment. In any event, I would do a complete inspection of the area to see if anything is there that might have been buffeted by the motion of the rig. Possibly something got stuck there that fell out while disconnecting - but you want to be sure before taking off on another trip!

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #5
Thanks to all who responded!  As soon as I get some free time, I'll be inspecting the engine area and report back.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264