Skip to main content
Topic: Pest Control  (Read 144 times) previous topic - next topic
Pest Control
One of my annual checks is to remove the dog house and look for evidence of pests. I noticed some debris on top of the engine manifold valley, and that got me to thinking about a way to deter mice from nesting there.  Many of us use products, such as Fresh Cab, in the coach and I was wondering about placing a pouch on top of the engine, but I imagine it would get too hot there and defeat the purpose if left there all the time?
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Re: Pest Control
Reply #1
That is definitely a nest, something needs to be done to prevent future activity that will eventually cause damage under the hood. Your friendly rats can do thousands of dollars of damage when they decide to remodel the engine compartment.
A lot of folks that live in rural areas used lights to discourage rodents from moving in. If you have 120-volt power available, try a string of LED  lights under the rig.
If power isn't available, this is another source of power, your Blur Sky solar controller has the ability to power security lights at night. This would allow a 12-volt LED light to be mounted under the hood and powered up when the sun goes down. Your solar panels should be up to the task of keeping the battery charged.

Blue Sky 3000i manual.  See page 11 for details
https://www.solar-electric.com/lib/wind-sun/SB3000i-manual.pdf

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Greg, I  learned several years ago while camping in a Montana forest campground that several campers had the vehicle hoods propped open with a stick. They said the light entering the engine bay discouraged rodents from going there. I thought why not do the same with LED lights. I did so on my previous 2010 Rear Bath and again with my current 2021 LD. Before I did so I had problems like yours in the engine bay, generator housing and top of the fuel tank. I tapped into the 12VDC  supply at the coach & engine battery connect solenoid under the engine coolant tank. I also had the circuit switch on when the engine was turned off. As the photos show I placed LEDs at the front & rear of the engine, in the generator housing, and above the fuel tank. Fortunately, I have had no other issues with rodents.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #3
If you think this is only a problem with RV's think again.  

Full confession -- I'm not a believer in all those assorted things folks do to keep rodents at bay.   I was born and raised on a farm.  I am sure I can say with conviction no matter what a person tries to do the rodent will win.   The best bet is to keep them a bay. 
Back story - We have a 2018 Toyota Highlander with about 40,000 miles.   LB and I do very little driving, oh maybe 50 to 100 miles a month.  Most of the driving is to the grocery stores, gas stations, and medical appointments.   Two weeks ago I had a dentist appointment.  When I turned on the heater - yup still a bit of chill in the air here in the PNW - I smell a rather bad odor. being the classist male that I am I just thought it was something from outside the car.   After my appointment, I could still smell the odor.  Then I was thinking maybe I step into some dog droppings someplace.  At a stop sign I check my shoes - nope.   Got home ask my dear wife to were her very sensitive-smelling apparatus.  Yup, something in the car.   OK long story short we, ie me, found the problem area.   A mouse somehow got into the cabin air filter made a nest and died.  There is no entrance from the outside of the air to the air cabin filter area.  The mouse would have had to come in through the car door someway.  LB and I have had many debates as to the method of entrance - it's still unresolved. 

glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #4
I just found the same thing in my Chevy Silverado cabin filter. What a frigging mess. I also wonder how the critter found a route in to the duct work.

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath