Skip to main content
Topic: Dripping PRV Fix (Read 118 times) previous topic - next topic
Dripping PRV Fix
We have struggled with a dripping PRV on our water heater for quite awhile.  We know how to create an air pocket, which didn’t help.  We removed and cleaned the PRV which helped a little bit.  We finally decided that the high temperature thermostat must not be working.  We ordered an Atwood low and high thermostat which included a protective foam cover.  When we removed the old foam cover, we immediately saw that the high temperature thermostat had come loose from the 3 prongs holding it in place.  So the loose thermostat would never shut off the water heater when it reached 170 degrees, resulting in a PRV drip.

We replaced both low and high temperature thermostats and a new protective foam cover.  Btw, we also used some thermal paste on the thermostats to insure good contact with the WH.  So now our WH is operating properly and of course… no dripping.

Hope this is helpful. 

Re: Dripping PRV Fix
Reply #1
I had that problem on another rig. I replaced the relief valve and checked everything with no success. I  must have done the air pocket dance ten times. I finally installed an adjustable thermostat and turned down the temp a few degrees. No more problems. Before and after photos.
jor

09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester