Skip to main content
Topic: Broken Parts (Read 249 times) previous topic - next topic
Broken Parts
The u-joint in my right hip doesn’t work and hasn’t worked smoothly for a long time.  However on April 28, 2023, a mechanic who specializes in this repair is scheduled to do a total replacement.   I’ve been advised that I can’t travel for 8 weeks because of the risk of blood clotting.   So for May & June we’re sidelined but that shouldn’t keep me from hanging out in our LD which will be in storage.  I’m reviewing my various lists to see what projects I can do without the mechanic or Margee yelling at me. 

Since I don’t trust mechanics, I’m a bit nervous but trying to walk, move or sleep with this problem isn’t an option anymore.  So that’s my news. 

Re: Broken Parts
Reply #1
I hope your hip-job goes smoothly, Ed. I’ve been encouraged to consider a partial knee replacement. And, from what I can tell, the technology today is pretty safe and the joints are more durable than they used to be.

W
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #2
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
Joe B.
2008 26ft  grey/white Rear Bath
Family of 5 hitting the open road as much as we can.

Reply #3
Best wishes for a quick recovery!

My 80 year old aunt had her hip replaced in late October last year, I flew in to help her the first week she got home in November.  Her recovery was quite remarkable, could walk a bit in weeks and was fully recovered in a few months.  She put it off for years, until it was quite painful to walk out of fear of the procedure.   She wishes she wouldn’t have waited so long.
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #4
The u-joint in my right hip doesn’t work and hasn’t worked smoothly for a long time.  However on April 28, 2023, a mechanic who specializes in this repair is scheduled to do a total replacement.   I’ve been advised that I can’t travel for 8 weeks because of the risk of blood clotting.   So for May & June we’re sidelined but that shouldn’t keep me from hanging out in our LD which will be in storage.  I’m reviewing my various lists to see what projects I can do without the mechanic or Margee yelling at me. 

Since I don’t trust mechanics, I’m a bit nervous but trying to walk, move or sleep with this problem isn’t an option anymore.  So that’s my news. 

My motorhome is really old and has a lot of problems too.  Even though the motorhome is really old, the problems seem fixable. 

I have two highly specialized mechanics.  Both mechanics are highly liked by their past performances.  I think I've made a good selection on mechanics and am looking forward to a great end product.  The only problem is that the best laid plans can go awry

One mechanic wants to go very deep inside the motor and pull out a defective part.  The defective part seems to be interfering with some other motor functions.  It's a much bigger job than a normal motor tweak and tuneup.  The job lasts a long time and is very labor intensive.  There is always a chance that the motor may not make it thru the job without a catastrophic failure of some other motor parts.   It does happen with really old motorhomes.  Junkyard disposal would be the only option.

The second mechanic wants to replace one of the wheels.   Two wheels have problems but one wheel in particular is causing severe wobble problems and needs a corrective replacement as soon as possible.  Waiting to make sure the motor function is good and reliable is a wise thought before proceeding with replacing the wheel.  This old MH chassis needs some TLC to manage these repair jobs.

I run a really thin oil thru the engine and other systems but both mechanics want me to stop using the thin oil for a few days before they do the high value work on my motorhome.   Stopping the thin oil treatments has its own hazards by not getting enuf oil to all parts of the engine.  This can cause failure and blockages.  According to the mechanics, I don't really have a choice other than to stop using the STP and other oil thinners.  Running regular oil should be OK for a limited amount of time.

After the first wheel is reworked, I probably will have to do the wheel on the opposite side.  Naturally I'll wait until the first wheel is balanced and true with a new tire to boot.

After these expensive repair jobs are done, I figure the motorhome will be good for another couple of years.  The only problem is the age of the motorhome is pretty old and its resale value is pretty low.  It just illustrates that everything has it day and sooner or later a new model will be best.  So we'll see if we can get a few extra years out of the old motorhome before it heads to the junkyard.
2000 MB

Reply #5
It certainly sounds like you need much more serious repairs than I do.  I wish you the very best and please think to update us on your repair progress and plans.  We’re wishing you only the best. 

Reply #6
Post Repair Update:  The Mechanic and His Team were simply beyond exceptional.   This Master Mechanic said my old and badly worn hip was a mess. He anticipates a very good result. 

He anticipates that I’ll have a good amount of years to RV and to continue to pester this Neighborhood 😂.

We’re certainly very relieved and excited that Katie Belle will continue to shelter Margee and I for some time to come.

End of Story.

Reply #7
We wish you a speedy and complete recovery.  You'll probably be back in you LD before you know it.

Don had his hip replaced the first week in January this year. By the end of January we did some nights at a local state park in our MB for "practice". After 6 weeks of PT and with the surgeon's approval, we headed from Alabama to the Morro Bay gathering, Death Valley, Valley of Fire State Park and back to Alabama with no hip or blood clotting issues.
To mitigate stiffness and blood clot risk on travel days, which there were many, we made it a point to stop and walk 10 minutes every 1.5 to 2 hours. Also, Don wore surgical stockings and, while underway, did leg flexing exercises.

We hope you are back in your LD very soon.

Best wishes,

Don & Tery Ecklin

On Apr 28, 2023, at 19:36, Ed & Margee
Don & Tery
2022 MB 27.5 towing a 2017 Wrangler