Skip to main content
Topic: Removing vertical sealant  (Read 259 times) previous topic - next topic
Removing vertical sealant
Looking at the sealing around my end caps, I can tell that I need to strip the old sealant and apply new. I started to try and strip away the old sealant but it was very difficult to make any progress. I have arthritis in my hands and don't have a lot of strength or endurance for this job. I've searched the forums and have found some posts about doing this job  that were helpful, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a quick way to get the old sealant out. I have an oscillating tool, but it seems like using it would probably damage the painted surface. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Livin the dream, one nightmare at a time.....

2003 26.50MB, Blue

Re: Removing vertical sealant
Reply #1
Sorry you had no answer on this one -- I am worrying about my verticals too.
Marcia
Marcia Boynton
2005 26.5 RK
Adrian and Northport, MI

Reply #2
I would get a thin blade Olfa knife, the ones with the break off blades.

Cut along one edge of the old sealant very slow, then cut the opposite side and the sealant should “mostly” come out as 1 piece.

If your blade gets dull just snap it off and you have a fresh edge, a sharp olfa blade will cut through sealant easily.

In regards to arthritis, olfa makes larger versions that would likely be more comfortable to work with and give you the same result
2000 RB

Reply #3
"I can tell that I need to strip the old sealant and apply new."

Be aware that not only is there sealant along the edges of the vertical caps but completely underneath as well! By stripping the edges you may be setting yourself up for a bigger job than you anticipate.  :(   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Pics of the seams would be good!?

My end caps had zero sealant, just very thin vhb tape holding the caps in place, the seam was filled with paint which cracks over the years from the coach flexing.

Now that I have removed and reinstalled caps there is an obvious line of sealant down the edge that “could” be cut away and redone.

If I had original never resealed end caps I would maybe use a metal pick or compressed and to dig out debri from the seam and then lay a bead of sealant down the side (with tape along the edges)
2000 RB

Reply #5
My end caps had zero sealant, just very thin vhb tape holding the caps in place,

That does not sound like Lazy Daze. Are you the original owner?
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
No, but the end caps are affixed with the adhesive tape and from what I could tell very little adhesive was used to hold the caps in place, the caps are very thin and the joint between the cap and body was essentially just sealed by the paint job.

Due to the relatively small profile of the end cap there is not much of a cap to apply sealant to begin with unless the cap is pulled away from the body and sealant forced under the end cap.
2000 RB

Reply #7
Perhaps this thread will be helpful…. Also, some have sealed the caps with eterna-bond tape. Try the Laxy Daze companion and, or using the forum search feature and you’ll find plenty of good info on this topic.

- Warren

My "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the End Cap" Project
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL