Skip to main content
Topic: Loss of coach power from generator (Read 158 times) previous topic - next topic
Loss of coach power from generator
Hello, I inadvertently unplugged my shore power while running my generator and AC unit. I then noticed that my A/C and M/W will not run on generator but will run on shore power.  I have checked the owners manual and reset all my circuit breakers inside the12V/120V Center. The owners manual show a manual reset inside the coach battery compartment but I do not see one. I have read there is a manual reset circuit breaker under my refrigerator inside the coach but cannot locate one on my 2002 26.5 MB. My owners manual schematic also indicates there is a 12V, 100 amp circuit breaker manual reset inside the house battery compartment as well as a 12V, 50amp circuit breaker manual reset located within 2" of the house batteries within the motorhome. I cannot find either of these manual reset circuit breakers. I have already attempted to reset the Onan MQ 4000 generator 30amp circuit breaker on the generator itself. The manual states "if it is "OFF," switch it away from you, to the "ON" position.
When the switch is away from me it indicates "OFF" on the switch. Neither position seems to restore power back to the coach A/C or M/W. I'm hopeful that there is a simple solution to this problem and I have not damaged the Converter/Battery charger or some other component. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
2002 MidBath

Re: Loss of coach power from generator
Reply #1

Here are a few suggestions.

First, the microwave oven doesn't use 12 VDC. And unless your 2002 midbath has had a newer air conditioner installed with an electronic thermostat controlling it, neither does the air conditioner.  In other words, if the only way to turn on your air conditioner is with the knob on the unit itself, then it doesn't use 12 VDC, so you can eliminate that as a factor in troubleshooting.

(For what it's worth, if your 2002 midbath is like my 2003 midbath, the master 12V breaker is a small gray or black box--about the size of an ice cube, as I remember--with a tiny round unlabeled reset button. It's located inside the opening of the drawer under the fridge, on the left. Pull out the drawer and feel around to the left.)

So we're confining the troubleshooting to the 120 VAC system. My next question would be: OK, the microwave oven and air conditioner don't work--those are on one 15 A leg of your power system--but do your household outlets, which are on the other leg, also not work? In other words, with the generator running, is this outage confined to the microwave + air conditioner circuit, or is it a total outage of all 120 VAC circuits in your rig?

I assume you have already cycled the circuit breaker that controls the microwave + air conditioner circuit; if not, you should do that. Cycling the generator's breaker was a good idea. If you've cycled both of those breakers (important: be sure to turn them all the way off and then on again) without any effect, then I'd be inclined to suspect that the automatic transfer switch (ATS) has frozen in the shore power position. That's a relay box that's mounted on the back of your converter, behind your fuse + breaker panel.

X

The ATS's job is to choose between generator and shore power: if the generator is running and shore power becomes available, it will switch over to shore power. But if it gets stuck one way or the other, then only one of the two power sources will be available. It has happened to more than one of us, myself included.

In short: if you have verified that no 120 VAC breakers are tripped, and if you have no AC power to your microwave, air conditioner, or household outlets, then the automatic transfer switch is probably the prime suspect.

Unless you're very confident about handling potentially lethal 120 VAC wiring, replacing the ATS is a job for a professional.

One last tip: in future, a non-contact AC voltage probe (about $15-$20) is a very useful tool for safely and easily tracing AC power. With one of these you can quickly see where live power is available and where it stops, just by running the plastic probe tip along wiring runs, or holding it next to outlets or circuit breakers.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
I had a similar problem… generator runs but no AC power.  Debbie (debinvenice) suggested I watch this YouTube video and #3 fixed my problem.

http://youtu.be/EWWG5cdqHck

I hope this helps.

- John
Fulltimer with a 2021 MId-Bath “Babe”, 1996 Cherokee “Scout” and “Bandit” the wonder dog 🐶

Reply #3
It's a helpful video, and the fellow in the video makes an important point: you can't always tell that a breaker has tripped just by looking at it. If there's the slightest doubt, always flip it all the way off and then back on. But the original poster said that they had flipped the generator's breaker both ways without solving their problem, so it sounds as if that isn't the issue in this case.

Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"