Skip to main content
Topic: Water pump install weirdness (Read 236 times) previous topic - next topic
Water pump install weirdness
Hello friends. Installing a new water pump this year (heading out in 2 weeks so I’m under the gun). I have two water pumps, both test fine with direct power.  Test the connection under the sink with a multimeter and I’m getting good power. Test either pump to the connection and neither works. Why would that happen?
Chris - 2001 MB

Re: Water pump install weirdness
Reply #1
Hi Chris (Remicks);  There is a water pump switch to turn the pump on and off. Usually near the vent hood over the stove top. The two wires; one should not be a ground wire. The other should be not hot or ground. It should be hot when the switch is turned on.  So are you having problems with the pumps? why are you replacing it. Mine lasted 20 years and developed a leak, but it still pumped.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
A circuit may appear hot until a load is added, a poor connection in a switch, fuse or other connection may be the cause of the pump not running.
Connect the pump and check the voltage at the pump with the power switch turned on to see if 12+ volts are still present.
If not, start checking for bad connections.

Pumps die, even the old dependable Whisper Kings, the pump that came in older LDs. Our 2003 LD has gone through several pumps. I have changed dozens of pumps over the year in various LDs and consider them to be expendable.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Thanks for the feedback. I did test the connections with the switch on and it was reading 12+. Given that, I just dont 7nderstand why the pump(s) would kick on.
Chris - 2001 MB

Reply #4
Larry, I just reread and digested your comment. I’ll check things with the pump attached. Thanks.
Chris - 2001 MB

Reply #5
Is the pressure switch on the pump closed? Our MB has a pump switch in  the bathroom near the shower.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #6
Larry, I just reread and digested your comment. I’ll check thinks with the pump attached. Thanks.
A typical DVM will have an input impedance of 10 million ohms or more. If the switch contacts are bad or there is a poor connection somewhere that adds say 100 ohms to the resistance, the pumps will not work - but disconnected, the circuit will read full voltage minus 0.001%.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #7
Fixed. Bad ground. Thanks for all the help friends. Now if there were only enough room to fit the pump. Sheesh it’s tight.
Chris - 2001 MB

Reply #8
Remove the converter and set it on the floor. Don't disconnect anything the wires are long enough. It'll make a big difference.

Jon
1994 MB