Skip to main content
Topic: Car Ramps (Read 147 times) previous topic - next topic
Car Ramps
I have advocated always parking your LD at home with one or both front wheels elevated to allow the water to run off. This shows how to make ramps for a car, but they could be used for the front wheels on your LD. I would countersink 7/16  or larger lag screws rather than use deck screws. Even better through bolt with 1/2' carriage bolts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tMp_IBvlbo

Why only the front? Just too much weight to deal with in the rear and you would need to support both wheels.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Car Ramps
Reply #1
"...with one or both front wheels elevated to allow the water to run off."

Many folks (with the exception of those of us who have taken a bath in Lake Newton) are unaware that the Ford cutaway chassis is built with a nose down rake! That alone will start the lake water flowing over the nose above the driver's seat. And if you can increase that slope, perhaps by driving down over a curb on to street level, you will accelerate the flow even further.   :o   ::)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #2
We build ramps similar to the ones in the video with the exception of being built as one piece in length.  That makes the entire unit more stable.  We just got back from sno-camping for five days on an un-level space which required the Left rear wheels to be lifted 6 inches.  Our space had 12 inches of snow over frozen ground.  We first packed the snow with our 98~MB several times, then we set the planks on the packed snow.  Shorter planks in this application would not be as stable as the long ones and as the snow melted a shorter plank unit may sink more.

Karen~Liam
         98 ~ MB
           NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #3
Many folks (with the exception of those of us who have taken a bath in Lake Newton) are unaware that the Ford cutaway chassis is built with a nose down rake!  :o   ::)
That's the way my 2005 Jayco sits, and I thought it was just poor design or improper adjustment of the rear springs. The irritation is level camp sites (the norm for me) mean the refrigerator doors (hinge towards the front of the vehicle) want swing all the way open and stop with a WHACK. Seem like that's hard on the hinge, too. That problem was finally mitigated with a bungey on each door, so they open about half way, and slow to a gentle stop.
2005 Jayco 24SS