Skip to main content
Topic: Screw size for holding LD End Caps (Read 421 times) previous topic - next topic
Screw size for holding LD End Caps
We are cleaning and calking with 3M 5200 on the rear End Caps on our 98~MB.  We may want to add some screws in some places for more stability.  What is recommended for size and length and I have seen that stainless have also been used?   Thanks

Karen~Liam
          98 ~ MB
            NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Re: Screw size for holding LD End Caps
Reply #1
We are cleaning and calking with 3M 5200 on the rear End Caps on our 98~MB.  We may want to add some screws in some places for more stability.  What is recommended for size and length and I have seen that stainless have also been used?   Thanks

I use screws whenever the caps need to be pulled in and stabilized while the 5200 cures.
Either # 8 or #10 pan head Phillips X 1" stainless steel sheet metal screws will work fine. Space them out evenly so it looks Factory.
Predrill the holes in the cap slightly oversize so the screws do not crack the cap when secured.

BTW, the Factory also used screws to straighten unruly end caps that refused to lay flat.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2

Karen~Liam
          98 ~ MB
            NinA

Based on advice I read on this forum (from Larry, Ron B, Andy, et al), these are the ones I used for my endcaps. They worked out really well. They are "Type 316" stainless, so pretty resilient. Link below...

Sheet Metal Screw Phillips Pan Head Size #8 x 1-1/4" Type 316 Stainless

Hope this is helpful,
Jason
Jason

2003 Rear Bath
"Razor Crest"
Our first RV, purchased from the original owner 01/2022

Reply #3
When replacing screws on the roof along the edges I got truss head screws.  The heads don't stick up as much, and the Eternabond rolls over it better.  I haven't resealed my end caps yet but the time is approaching, and I will use these:  https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=4044&qty=1000&gclid=CjwKCAiAjPyfBhBMEiwAB2CCIqcizFv6_IFAgtwTNJAENSHtEZyGkSNZJBg31srg15csto-VR5MI7xoCw5IQAvD_BwE   I've used them on a friends toy hauler, and the truss head just looks better. Of course that's just my preference.  18-8 Stainless.  You can also get them longer.  I think the #10 screws are a bit large.  I use a modified latex caulking inside the holes. Dynaflex 230.    RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
Thanks Ron B, Jason and Larry.  I am now over 6 hrs of time removing the old failing calk and clean up of the surface and masking for 5200 bead installation.  Larry you suggested the screws for stabilization and during the curing of 3M 5200.  Do you suggest that I squirt a little 5200 inside the seam and for the screws to squish it out, then do the bead on the seam or screw first screw the caps dry and then calk the seam?  Most of caps are tight except in a few places and where the upper and lower caps meet.  There is quite a gap where the caps meet since I removed the old calk and I was able to probe the wood inside.  The wood feels firm from the probing I did to what I could reach.  I plan to fill the gap with closed cell foam coil and cover that with Eternabond with a one inch overlap on each cap but stop the Eturnabond even with the cap sides to let the 5200 bead to cover that.

~Liam

1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #5

Sounds good to me Liam.  A lot of work, but maybe you won't ever have to do it again. Modern adhesives seem to have a very long life.  I still haven't caulked over the tops of my windows, they still seem to be ok. I inspect yearly (right after rain) with a moisture sensor to see if I can spot a leak early. Similar to this: General Tools Digital Moisture Meter MMD7NP - Humidity Sensor- Pinless and...    RonB

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #6
.  Do you suggest that I squirt a little 5200 inside the seam and for the screws to squish it out, then do the bead on the seam or screw first screw the caps dry and then calk the seam?  Most of caps are tight except in a few places and where the upper and lower caps meet.  There is quite a gap where the caps meet since I removed the old calk and I was able to probe the wood inside.  The wood feels firm from the probing I did to what I could reach.  I plan to fill the gap with closed cell foam coil and cover that with Eternabond with a one inch overlap on each cap but stop the Eturnabond even with the cap sides to let the 5200 bead to cover that.

I tape the edges of the caps with masking tape to contain the 5200. Use a wet gloved finger to force the 5200 into the gaps and then install the screws. Shape the squeeze out with a wet glove find and as soon as you are happy with the 5200's appearance, remove the masking tape. Do not allow the 5200 to set or skim over before removing the tape.

For the gap on the rear caps, where the top meets the bottom, I clean the gap well, using dental-type instruments and then solvent, before taping and filling the gaps with more 5200. Lastly, the gaps are covered with short pieces of Eternabond tape or the stock curved metal covers, if your rig has them.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #7
Thanks Larry, that is good advice with the wet glove and removing the masking tape before the 5200 sets.  I will be working in 40 degrees temps up here so I think it will go slowly.  I am going to do the beads of 5200 in sections so I assume they should be joined while they are tacky to get a good bond.  I don't have the Cap Gap strip from the factory so I guess I will fill it with 5200 instead of bead foam and use the Eternabond to cover that gap as planned.

~Liam
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze

Reply #8
Well I got the driver side done yesterday evening, I went back to see if it was tacky to remove the tape but it was still wet, I will check it this AM to see if it is ready to remove the tape.  Temps last night were down to 37 degrees here, maybe a little warmer in the building.  It was 48 when I began.

~Liam
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze

Reply #9
Sounds good to me Liam.  A lot of work, but maybe you won't ever have to do it again. Moder adhesives seem to have a very long life.  I still haven't caulked over the tops of my windows, they still seem to be ok. I inspect yearly (right after rain) with a moisture sensor to see if I can spot a leak early. Similar to this: General Tools Digital Moisture Meter MMD7NP - Humidity Sensor- Pinless and...    RonB

That is an amazing meter!  Sort of like a stud finder.  Thanks for that tip RonB

Ron S
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #10
I tape the edges of the caps with masking tape to contain the 5200. Use a wet gloved finger to force the 5200 into the gaps and then install the screws. Shape the squeeze out with a wet glove find and as soon as you are happy with the 5200's appearance, remove the masking tape. Do not allow the 5200 to set or skim over before removing the tape.

For the gap on the rear caps, where the top meets the bottom, I clean the gap well, using dental-type instruments and then solvent, before taping and filling the gaps with more 5200. Lastly, the gaps are covered with short pieces of Eternabond tape or the stock curved metal covers, if your rig has them.

Larry

Larry,

For the SoCal heat in the summer, how long should I wait to before removing the masking tape after squishing and smoothing the 3M 5200? How many tubes should I get for a complete reseal?
1999 MB, 7.3L PowerStroke