Skip to main content
Topic: 2013 emergency brake not releasing (Read 210 times) previous topic - next topic
2013 emergency brake not releasing
Hello,

Any ideas as to why emergency brake will not release ?
Michael
2013 31' IB

Re: 2013 emergency brake not releasing
Reply #2
Does the parking brake lever under the dash release or is it stuck?
If it releases but the parking brake remains engaged, the cable may be rusted or damage or maybe there is a problem inside the rear brakes.
The parking brake's drum is inside and a part of the rear brake's rotor, it is somewhat hidden.

Each rear brake has a cable connected to the parking brake pedal under the dash. You could have someone work the parking while you trace the cables and see if it they are moving and if the under frame brake adjuster is working.

The parking brake is a purely mechanical device, be happy it isn't an electronic parking brake that many newer cars have.
Your 2013 LD does not use the driveshaft-mounted parking brake, it was used between 1996 to 2007.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Hi Michael; Did you ever get the parking brake to release?  If it was the foot pedal stuck, there is usually a pawl that engages a gear sector. This keeps the cable tight. Sometimes pushing down on the foot pedal will release the pressure on the handle mechanism enough for you to be able to release the cable (Pull handle).   Similar to having to move the steering wheel a little to get the lock mechanism to allow the ignition key to be turned in the lock.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
Hello Everyone,
Having the wife pull on the release knob, while i pulled real hard on the brake pedal released the pedal.
It is binding somewhere . Everything is shielded from view under the dash. I need to figure out how to remove a dash panel for a better  under dash view.  Perhaps a little lube will help.
Once it stops raining I can look underneath at the rear brakes & see if the cable is corroded.
Michael
2013 31' IB

Reply #5

Once it stops raining I can look underneath at the rear brakes & see if the cable is corroded.

The panel under the steering wheel pops off and on. Give it a quick pull.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze