Skip to main content
Topic: Help with 110v system! (Read 207 times) previous topic - next topic
Help with 110v system!
I've been having some trouble with the 110 side of things in my 1990 mid bath. One day while using my electric tea kettle I suddenly lost power. I was perplexed to look up at the microwave clock and still see it ticking away while the fridge had switched from AC to GAS. After discovering that my microwave was on its own side of a 20amp duplex breaker I was relieved that I still had shore power coming in but still confused as to why I had lost power to the kettle outlet. Checking the breaker box revealed no trip but I flipped each breaker off and on just in case. Still nothing. It seems I lost power to ALL my wall outlets which would explain why my fridge was also not getting power. All of my wall outlets (with the exception of the microwave) share the same 15amp breaker. I thought it could be something as easy as replacing the breaker. I swamped the old breaker for a new one and nothing. No luck at all. What a bummer. After scratching my head about this situation for a bit I look up to notice that the string of LED lights I had plugged into to an adjacent outlet had come back on! I went around with my phone charger to test each outlet and sure enough I had power again. But this wasn't satisfying as I knew there was a problem somewhere that would eventually present itself again. And just as I went to plug my phone charger into the same outlet with the LEDs - I lost power again! I thought maybe there was a GFI outlet somewhere that I was missing so I hunted all over the RV in search of it. When I got to the refrigerator outlet under the exterior hatch I did not find a GFI outlet but I did notice that when I unplugged the fridge I suddenly had power again! I suspected there was a loose wire behind that outlet so I shut off all power and popped the outlet off to discover the picture I've posted here. I was very relived to discover what might be the cause of so much frustration as well as a potential safety hazard but I thought if come to this forum to ask - could it be this simple? Just this loose wire would interrupt my entire 110v system? I'm so hoping that it's as easy a fix as replacing this outlet but wanted to ask the group what you all thought.

Thanks in advance!Spoiler (click to show/hide)
resist the mundane, embrace the unknown
1990 MB

Re: Help with 110v system!
Reply #1
Hi MuseMe;  Yes it can be that simple.  From the source, the circuit breaker in your distribution panel, your wiring travels in and out of each outlet in the circuit. It is called 'daisy chaining' and saves on wire and weight. So if the circuit gets interrupted anywhere along the way to the end outlet, all the outlets will quit 'down stream'.  Brick and stick houses do this also. Generally they have more branch circuits (breakers) than a small motorhome. You probably didn't need to replace the panel circuit breaker. 
    This circuit tester will check if your outlets have power, and whether they are wired correctly:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Receptacle-Tester-400-029/206303234?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&pla&mtc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-Multi-Multi-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-LINC_PMAX_NEW&cm_mmc=SHOPPING-BF-CDP-GGL-Multi-Multi-NA-NA-NA-SMART-NA-NA-NA-NA-NBR-NA-NA-NA-LINC_PMAX_NEW-71700000102633085--&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8t2eBhDeARIsAAVEga2N239N2fkIEBGqj4Xjldby57ul-AFtY1sRi1bkVaRVGc0fuKfu5y0aAjboEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
   That is inexpensive insurance. With a proper adaptor you can check campground power before you plug in.
 RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #2
Appreciate the reply, RONB! Definitely didn't need to replace the breaker but hey now I have an extra on board. :) That is a neat tester. I'm going to pick one up for sure! Let me ask you, do you think there is any harm in the bit of corrosion seen here on the lose wire and the ground? I've been reading where some folks have sanded down or cleaned in vinegar solutions but I also see where folks say it's just a patina that doesn't affect amperage. Wondering what your take on that would be. I really do appreciate the explanation of dasiy chaining. Makes total sense and feels good to rule out having to replace my converter!
resist the mundane, embrace the unknown
1990 MB

Reply #3
Hi MuseMe;  Those type of connections are push in. There are copper/bronze fingers that grab the wire and cut into it to give a good connection.  Not intended to handle water, and I'm sure some water does get into the refrigerator compartment because of the vent holes for airflow to allow proper operation of the 'fridge.  With power off, yank on that white neutral wire. If it comes out, clean the wire off. I use a knife blade to scrape it clean. Or sand paper.  Re-insert the wire and see if the socket grabs it. If it does it may be ok.  If it doesn't, the socket may have side terminals. You can bend the wire around the side screw and tighten it down tight. (very tight). After as many years as that socket has been in service, I'd put in a new outlet.   RonB 
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #4
"...clean the wire off. I use a knife blade to scrape it clean. Or sand paper."

:D  The knife blade method will certainly work but if you are devoid of sand paper you can just reach for your wallet or purse and find a 1$ bill (other denominations also work). There is just enough abrasives in the paper used for money to gently remove the oxidation in question here. A dollar bill is also handy to check for a tight seal around the fridge door!   ;)
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #5
Some electronics cleaner can also help.

Those push in connectors are not as good and many electricians won’t use them in a sticks and bricks home because of that (let alone a moving vibrating RV).  It looked like one of the white neutral wires might be a little pulled out but also might just have a longer area stripped.

I would vote for a new outlet. Best wire connection is 2 small plates with the wire put between and a screw that mashes the wire tight between the plates.  But even curl the wire around the screw is better than push wire in the hole connections. 
Note:  often outlets have both wire wrap around screws (side of outlet) and the push in connection spots back of outlet so you can maybe just move the wires to the side connections (one wire per screw - doing pigtails as needed to accomplish this).

Jane
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #6
Personally, I think you should do yourself a favor and replace the outlet. Get a good one, one rated for 20 amps. that neutral wire shows some signs of heat so I would strip it back to good insulation and clean wire then trim it off. It's good to know, in your case anyway, that the frig is the first outlet in the circuit.

Jon
1994 MB