Skip to main content
Topic: Roof Cleaning (Read 270 times) previous topic - next topic
Roof Cleaning
I'm going to reseal the roof (Eternabond over OEM seal). I've read all the posts but I have one question. What is the best product for the initial cleaning? Several posts note soap and water and Karen and Liam mentioned LA's All Purpose Commercial Cleaner. How about Dawn? Thanks.
jor
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Re: Roof Cleaning
Reply #1
I used Simple Green and Dr. Bronner’s Sal Suds and a stiff scrub brush to pre-prep the roof seams before the final clean with acetone. Be sure to thoroughly rinse off any “soap” used, allow the areas to dry, then  do the final prep.

As ever, YMMV.
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
 jor,
      We had great success with the LA's All Purpose Cleaner which was the first time we used it.  I think that it might be a good idea that you also have a small bucket of Dawn mixed up with water for greasy spots.  I did have Dawn with us when we cleaned the roof but the LA cleaner did the job and we did not need the Dawn.  Tree Sap can be an issue also but when we were done we did not find any so it cleaned off or was not present on the roof.

Karen~Liam
        98 ~ MB
          NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags

Reply #3
Dish-washing soap a bucket and brush works fine, rinse well and dry before the final cleaning with Lacquer thinner or acetone.
Wear gloves when doing the solvent wash. I wear an organic respirator when using a large amount of solvent.
Just before beginning to place the Eternabond tape, snap a chalk line along the outer edge for use as a guide when placing the tape.
Use a heavy veneer roller or wallpaper roller to flatten the tape and push out any bubbles. Bubbles that cannot be flattened can be slightly cut open to release the air, next pressing down on the tape will seal the small hole.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Adding to Larry's Good advice is to do the job with TWO People, it goes way better!

Karen~Liam
                  98 ~ MB
                     NinA
1998 ~ MB  WanderDaze
previously a 1984 Winnebago itaska- The Road Warrior, before that several VW Buses and before that a 1965 Chrysler Convertible Newport or our 1969 Chrysler La Barron with an ice box and a couple sleeping bags