Skip to main content
Topic: Removing the outside siding (Read 276 times) previous topic - next topic
Removing the outside siding
While camping over the holidays, my daughter went to roll up the driver's side rear side window shade. The anchor that holds the guide for the shape popped out of the wall. Gently feeling around, the wall is soft there. So obviously a water leak, probably from the window. The wife and I are thinking about the best way to get at stuff to see the full extent of the damage. With the wall for the bathroom right there, and the bed, pulling the interior siding might be ugly.

I've seen some folks talk about removing the outer skin so we are thinking maybe that's the best course of action.

Does anyone have any pictures of removing the outer skin? I think Rich did some extensive rear end removal, but I can't seem to find the thread when I searched.

We resealed the roof not too long ago so I'm thinking it's the windows. I don't recall ever seeing any major leaking on the inside.

Along those lines has anyone ever pulled out and fully replaced the windows in the older rigs? I say some post saying the old style 3 part rear windows are prone to leaking as well.

Thanks in advance
2001 MB

Re: Removing the outside siding
Reply #1
Removing the exterior sheet aluminum is a MAJOR project, one not to be done unless you have a lot of time and dry place to do it. Lazy Daze did not design and build the siding, or much of anything else, to be easily removable, many RV shops do not like working on LDs because they are so hard to take apart. Approaching the repair from the inside is usually the best approach.

Window leaks are not uncommon with the rear window being more prone to leakage. The windows can be removed to access the rotted framing. The rubber molding between the rear window panes can shrink and allow leakage.
This series of videos will provide you with information about an extensive rot repair.
Wood Rot Repair And Restoration Fun!

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Many people do the repairs from the inside which depending on where the soft spots are might be a lot easier.

First step - make sure the leak is completely fixed.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #3
If removing the outer skin plan to take ALL of it off starting from the bottom and moving all the way to the top.  Getting things to line up again when putting it back together is difficult.  I am VERY happy I did it and am still working on another soft spot under the battery.  I just finnished ripping out all the dry rot and will be upgrading the electrical system while I am at it.

Finding the Dry rot
1997 TK