Skip to main content
Topic: bad cell in house batteries (Read 113 times) previous topic - next topic
bad cell in house batteries
Took a trip over the holidays in our rig. I noticed something wasn't right w/ the house batteries. The SmartBMV was telling me batteries were at 93% w/ a voltage of 9.61V.

I pulled both batteries out of the rig to check the cells. Flooded Lead Acid batteries. One cell is showing basically plain water.

Does anyone have any experience in "fixing" this? Can I just add some acid?

I trust folks on here more then a generic google / you tube search, so I figured I'd ask first.

Thanks in advance.
2001 MB

Re: bad cell in house batteries
Reply #1
I don't think you can fix a battery. . Since you are supposed to replace them in pairs, I see 2 new batteries in your future.

Steve K
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #2
You don't lose acid unless there is a leak. If you measured with a hydrometer, the result is likely that the acid has precipitated out as sulfation - and shorted the plates. A low voltage means a cell has shorted out. Don't try to fix - replace both.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Hi Henness; Battery cells are 2.2 volts each. Per 6 volt battery three cells, 6.6 volts and 13.3 for two batteries.  That low voltage is a shorted cell. Usually caused by part of a lead plate breaking off inside. When it does that it won't accept a charge, even though the other cells will. A discharged battery cell has just water in that cell. And of course the charged cells are filled with a strong sulphuric acid. Still dangerous. There is no repair for this, time for a new battery. If they aren't in warranty, they are old enough to replace both batteries. (less than 6 months I would consider just the one battery and consider it a manufacturing defect.) but with an exact match for the one you still have. Because they are in series you can get away with it.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB