Skip to main content
Topic: Factory roof sealant? (Read 296 times) previous topic - next topic
Factory roof sealant?
This is on my '88 22'. Could it be original? Looks pretty bad, I know.
 Should I use Eternabond tape? or use the original stuff?
I try not to break the rules but merely test their elasticity.  '88 22RL converted to Rear Dinette

Re: Factory roof sealant?
Reply #1
I'll let others answer your question but just so you know, the original sealant for your roof was probably Parlastic.  That was abandoned at some point for a better sealant whose name escapes me.
Greg & Victoria
2017 Mid-Bath  “Nocona” towing a manual 2015 Forester
Previously a 1985 TK
SKP #61264

Reply #3
If it looks greenish yellow (ormaybe under some grime) and Thick -
1/4” or more and fairly hard like plastic with bigger cracks), I think that was  original.  The first picture looks like it  might be original, the second one looks like dicor unless it  just has a lot of dirt/grime on the original.

We had a couple spots with what we thought was the original (I forget where, maybe around an antenna) and I was amazed how well it held up but it might not in area more prone to leaks (roof seams etc.).  The top was all cracked Al it when you got down about half way it was in very good shape.
Jane & Scott
Currently have a 1989 TK  LD we did a lot of upgrades on.
Bigfoot 25RQ Twin on order with early summer 2024 ETA

Our smartphone autocorrects into very poor English.
 We disclaim the illusion of ignorance this creates as we have enough ignorance we rightly claim.

Reply #4
Dazed

If you haven’t browsed the instructions for getting the most from our forum, you may have missed this guide on “Searching” for topics of interest. Gaining skill in searching will really help you answer your questions on routine topics like roof resealing.

Here is a link to the Search instructions guidance.

Search Function Tips/Instructions

- W
Warren
2019 MB “Dream Catcher”
Jeep Wrangler JL

Reply #5
That is definitely is the original sealant.
I suggest completely removing it and resealing with Eternabond or a polyurethane. Eternabond would be my preference.
A vibratory tool with a sharp blade is the best tool for the removal job.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #6
A vibratory tool with a sharp blade is the best tool for the removal job.

Larry
Thanks, I used that tool successfully, and got down to bare metal quickly. Amazingly, the original Parlastic was still flexible after 35 years(I'm sure it was original to this Coach)
Now I'm waiting for a few sunny daze to prep for E-Bond
Thanks, all for your helpful suggestions
I try not to break the rules but merely test their elasticity.  '88 22RL converted to Rear Dinette