Skip to main content
Topic: Folding ebike choices (Read 206 times) previous topic - next topic
Folding ebike choices
For those of you who have bought a folding ebike for your RV travel, which did you choose and why? I was at Costco yesterday and they have the Jetson Haze 16 inch ebike on sale til Christmas for $499 ($100 off regular price), which seems to be a heck of a deal. It weighs 48 pounds. Lectric has its own more robust small wheel folding bike, weighing over 60 pounds, for sale for $999. Lectric has more features of course, but did I mention it is twice the price? Maybe it's worth it? TIA.
2006 RB

Re: Folding ebike choices
Reply #1
We have 2 Lectrics - 3 problems 1) getting them into the rig 2) getting them out of the rig and 3) securing them when out of the rig.  They are more like 65+pounds, even in a box, that is a lot to lug around.  To do it agin, I would go with lighter bikes, even if they did not fold.

But they have been very popular with the Lance group.

The Grey Angels
2004 MB Lazy Daze, Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 Door
Previous LD: 92 22RB, 98 30IB, 15 27RB
Previous TT: 2020 Lance 2185

Reply #2
All e-bikes are heavier than their non-powered counterparts. Folding bikes are even heavier due to the added material that allows them to fold. Our e-bike batteries cost alone cost around $800 each, it's hard to believe you can buy much of an e-bike for $500 or even $1000. There is a difference between a campground toy and a real bike.

It's hard enough to load heavy e-bikes on a bike rake, lifting a 65lb, folded e-bike into an RV or the back of a car is even more difficult, make sure you can handle the weight and have the storage space before buying. Seeing a lot of e-bikes in campgrounds, we have watched many seniors struggle with their new bikes. Odds are many of them are used a few times and then never used again due to the hassle.
Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of them on Craig's List.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
My wife and I bought folding Brompton ebikes about a year ago.  They each weigh about 37 pounds (including the battery).  We carry them in the closet of our midbath and use them frequently.  We used to carry Electra ebikes weighing about 55 pounds each on a rack on the back of the LD.  We still have the Electra ebikes for home use, but prefer the Bromptons for use in the LD.  The Bromptons take less time to get set up to ride.  We also like the security of storing them inside the LD.   The picture shows the bikes uncovered.  We have covers for them when we are underway in the LD.
Paul
2010 MB (2011-present)                                                                                        
1994 Multiplan (1997-2010)

Reply #4
My wife and I bought folding Brompton e-bikes about a year ago.  They each weigh about 37 pounds (including the battery).
We also like the security of storing them inside the LD.  

Paul

You didn't have the Brompton the last time we met, they are much lighter and fold up so compactly compared to the cheaper Costco bikes. They cost more and are well worth it if they are to be used often.
Brompton Electric Folding Ebike | Folding Electric Bike
Cheap bikes have cheap components, which are fine for bikes that will not be ridden far or used often but are not a good choice for serious riders.
The real killer to frequent use is the weight of inexpensive e-bikes, 65 lbs is a lot of weight to be lifting and moving in and out of an MH or off a rack.
My back hurts thinking about it.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
All points expressed are well taken and I will just add another to the discussion. There is some relationship between the potential weight of these bikes and how you intend to use them. A basic asphalt/concrete model can be had for less weight. A more versatile model that can handle asphalt/concrete along with gravel, lighter off road tracks, more aggressive grades and beach will definitely put you in the 60# plus range but is worth it if your goal is versatility.

I have ridden and travelled with this bike:  Nesta Best Off Road eBikes electric foldable eBikes for sale for the past year and have been pleased with the overall performance. As you can see from the one photo, even with 4" tires it folds quite compactly and only requires half of the cargo area in the rear of a 2006 Jeep Wrangler with the rear bench seat removed.

Happy Trails!

Matt
2004 26.5 Island Bed. Gumby
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon