Skip to main content
Topic: Pressure Regulator Valve (PRV) (Read 184 times) previous topic - next topic
Pressure Regulator Valve (PRV)
Our water heater PRV has been leaking for awhile which is aggravating for sure.  We know how to create an air pocket but that didn’t help.  So I removed the PRV and soaked it in cleaning vinegar which didn’t do anything as far as I can tell.  Then I soaked it in CLR and that removed a good amount of corrosion.  After flushing the valve in hot water, I put it back in the water heater. 

On our next trip the water heater worked just fine and we didn’t have any drips.   I hope this is helpful. 

Re: Pressure Regulator Valve (PRV)
Reply #1
I have the same problem and am going to try this too. Did you have to drain the water system or can you just remove the PRV with the pump turned off?

Thanks. Matt
2004 26.5 Island Bed. Gumby
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Reply #3
That's what I wanted to hear :) Thanks and Happy Holidays!
2004 26.5 Island Bed. Gumby
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Reply #4
Ladies and Gentlemen,
My 1988 came to me with a supply line check valve to keep hot water from going to the swamp cooler causing PRV relief and pump cycling problems.
Then I added a winterization bypass that uses a check valve, and I could not replenish the HW heater air space by opening the PRV and hot water sink valves.
I took out the supply side check valve.  Installed a 0.75 Liter pressurized accumulator tank, in the wardrobe drawer area, between the HW Heater and the Swamp Cooler.  No more PRV problems.  If the PRV dribbles the Accumulator may need air.   If there is water at the accumulator Schrader valve a new accumulator is needed.
Rodney
1988 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Our water heater PRV has been leaking for awhile which is aggravating for sure.

It is normal to have some leakage from this valve anyway when the water heater is started from cold. If connected to shore-water, not sure how to prevent it, but when running just from the water tank, this works:

Turn off the pump and open a hot water tap while the tank heats. Once the tank is substantially hot, close the tap and turn the pump back on.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6

I had an Atwood that always did that and it was driving me crazy. Also, the water temp was too hot and the unit did not have an adjustment for temperature. I installed this electronic thermostat, turned it down 10 degrees or so and never had another drop come out of that pressure relief valve.
jor

thermostat

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
09 27' MB
10  Suby Forester

Reply #7
I did exactly the same thing as JOR, money well spent. I do still establish the air cushion though.

Jon
1994 MB

Reply #8
We installed an Atwood adjustable thermostat (now called "electronic") years ago to reduce having to fiddle with the shower valves as much, it is set at the lowest temp possible.
A nice upgrade.
I have thought about using a true adjustable electronic thermostat, with the display located inside the rig, so the temp can be easily changed for what the heated water is used for, hotter for dishes, cooler for showers.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze