Skip to main content
Topic: Electric Semi-Truck RV (Read 297 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Electric Semi-Truck RV
Reply #1
I knew this was coming.  Hahaha!  But it needs to be a lot smaller.

Ron
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #2
Tesla Semi   Range 300 ($150K) or 500($180K) miles before RV mods added.
At 300 mile range, it could be a base for a great get-away-from-some-of-it-all or moochdocking platform.
How many solar panels would be needed to recharge the battery and how long would it take?
How many Tesla charger slots would it cover to recharge on on?

I can see technological and economic challenges.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #3
Very interesting. I’m still hoping for a hydrogen fuel source.
SoCal-Gal  (Tracy)
1991 26.5 RB
Previous 1988 22’ LD Multi plan
Previous 1992 Six-pack Camper
Spare the sealant, spoil the job.
Travelers: Tracy, spouse Anthony, Coton de Tulear, Gabby and parrotlet, Indigo

Reply #5
  Got an idea for an RV power source, saw it work on a car once.  8)
2006 24’ TK
570 watts solar, 300Ah lithium
SKP Lifetime member #105622
Land of Enchantment

Reply #6
Hi Jaxon;  Until you can get a flux capacitor to be more reliable, I'll stick with Lithium batteries!  Do you have any pictures of your roof?  I'm at 450Watts because it was the limit for the R3000i Solar Boost controller.  Did you put batteries in your battery box, and what do you think about ending up in some below 28 degree weather?
  A fellow 23.5 'TK owner.  RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #7
Hi Ron - here's a couple shots of snow hiding panels - I have three 190W panels on the roof (removed the TV batwings up top)...  I have three 100Ah lithiums, one in the outside battery compartment and two 100 Ah in the cabinet by the door,  I mounted the charge controller in the cabinet next to the door.  I put a 2000w Xantrex inverter in the drawer below the fridge.  These batteries, Solar Blue, are heated internally for cold weather...

Have had zero problems with this setup having plenty of power for all, except AC preferring to head to higher altitudes for cooler weather....
2006 24’ TK
Land of Enchantment

Reply #8
Hi Ron - here's a couple shots of snow hiding panels - I have three 190W panels on the roof (removed the TV batwings up top)...  I have three 100Ah lithiums, one in the outside battery compartment and two 100 Ah in the cabinet by the door,  I mounted the charge controller in the cabinet next to the door.  I put a 2000w Xantrex inverter in the drawer below the fridge.  These batteries, Solar Blue, are heated internally for cold weather...

Have had zero problems with this setup having plenty of power for all, except AC preferring to head to higher altitudes for cooler weather....
That is a lot of juice. And I am not talking orange juice either.  Great work!  Very impressive! 

Ron
Ron and Linda
Ada Michigan

Reply #9
My TK setup, 850 watts on top, 4 100 Ah LiFe Blue batteries for low temps, 3000 watt Victron inverter in the passenger rear compartment, leaving the old battery bay available for storage.

Had no issues in 20 degree temps in Yosemite (ok, no electric issues, it was still darn cold)
Dave

2017 TK

Reply #10
Hi Jaxon, and Dave. Very nice.  Jaxon answered two questions; his batteries have internal heaters, and the Blue Sky Energy Solar Boost 30-24 controller can handle 40 Amps, which allows more current than the 30 A. my controller can handle. The difference between my 450 Watts and your 570 Watts.  A few of the pictures seemed cut off before they finished transferring. A Starlink problem?   RonB
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Reply #11
Hi Jaxon,
A few of the pictures seemed cut off before they finished transferring. A Starlink problem?   RonB
Yeah, not sure what happened, no starlink tho'.  On this photo, you can make out two 190W panels in the upper right-hand corner - Sorry about the snow covered roof, the RV is at an RV park storage..

2006 24’ TK
Land of Enchantment